T6.1 CarPlay and iPhone 15pro - issues

Luton1971

R23tts
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Does anyone else have issues with connecting a iPhone 15 via cable to CarPlay on a T6.1. iPhone 14 is fine but no joy with 15 pro. Used original apple cable as thought it was a data issue.

Reactions: CJW
I’ve got issues too which I’ll add here to see if it’s of any use to you or anyone else.

Mine’s an aftermarket head unit and I had successfully used 13 pro and 14 pro for two years via a usb-c adapter plate that I installed in the dash, which connected to the female usb at the back of the head unit. The 15 won’t work at all going that route so I’ve had use a single USB-A > USB-C cable straight through to get it to work.

BUT

Wife’s phone is a 13 which is lightning instead of USB-C. So I found a USB-C>lightning end cap adapter. This works, but over time my wife’s phone draws too much power and the head unit demands it is disconnected. This never happened when the same phone was connected to the same head unit via a USB-A to Lightning cable.

So…

Currently I’ve got a Belkin USB-A > lightning cable plus and an Apple branded Lightning > USB-C adapter (which specifically says is CarPlay compatible) sat on the kitchen side waiting til next week to install and I’ll feed back. The theory being the USB-C power handshaking needs to be managed by the Apple adapter.

I've had similar issues to @CJW with latest Android and found a similar solution.

I'm not sure it's power management as such I think it's just there are so many protocols you can now use over USB-C at different bandwidths that sometimes certain combinations of devices never manage to agree on one before things time out. Adaptors that make things "dumber" seem to help by restricting the number of possible options.

Reactions: CJW
If it’s anything like my transit custom work van every so often when I get a new phone that is newer than the software on the headunit it needs to be updated to get CarPlay working again, being ford that’s easily done by downloading software from the ford website but no so simple if it’s a VW !

In my case:
  • Because I need it to charge
  • Because I need it to not use it's own data so I need the WiFi to jump onto the 4G hub
  • Wireless connection is fragile as heck unless the phone is in the holder next to the head unit where the USB is anyway

Bit of an update: happy to say that going USB-A to Lighting cable with Apple’s own USB-C to lightning converter solved my problem. Works with both iPhone 15 and the wife’s 14 now. ☺️

USB-C to Lightning Adapter

1706825939985.png

Back