SWB internal bike rack solution

This is my home made rack, fits three bikes, slide out on a steel frame, makes accessing the back much easier. LWB but the long travel 29 er is still a squeeze so front wheel off is much easier, and quick to get out/in

View attachment 41519
This looks exactly like i want to build! Do you have any closer pics, details of the draw slides etc? Any layout plans? Much appreciated

Thanks

The Saris track needed to be accurately drilled at either end. I used a bench drill and triple checked the measurements before drilling!

I bought the following parts from eBay (x2); M10 x 100mm stainless threaded bar,M10 x 9.5mm thick stainless washer, M10 flat washer & M10 ELESA hand knob/lobe.

This solution also enables the original floor mounting points/hoops to be used when the rack is in situ.

A041CBFB-95DB-4AC9-BD6C-476A50912011.jpeg
4566557A-DED0-460C-9FBE-7CE4BFD4E518.jpeg

I really like they way you have mounted the rack, I think I’ll do the same for mine. Just hope I measure it correctly

They are currently out of stock, but I got the Saris tripple track 47 (long version) a few weeks ago from chain reaction cycles (£77.99)

K
Where’s the best place to get the loose front wheel stands from?
Cheapest I could find were the ‘Sunlite Bike Blocks’ (100mm & 110mm Boost) from Amazon.com. They didn’t take very long to ship to UK and seem well made. Just needed a quick deburring to avoid scratching the thru-axles.

Just got a Kombi SWB with a bulkhead fitted. There's a lot of really good ideas of how to transport bikes but I'm finding I can fit 3~4 Mountain bikes in the back easily by removing the front wheels and placing them upside down across the load space area, instead of lengthwise. I separate the bikes with old duvets and use big bungee straps on the existing tie down points to protect everything and keep it all in place. This also leaves all 6 seats free for peeps! Am I being too simplistic in the approach I wonder?

Just got a Kombi SWB with a bulkhead fitted. There's a lot of really good ideas of how to transport bikes but I'm finding I can fit 3~4 Mountain bikes in the back easily by removing the front wheels and placing them upside down across the load space area, instead of lengthwise. I separate the bikes with old duvets and use big bungee straps on the existing tie down points to protect everything and keep it all in place. This also leaves all 6 seats free for peeps! Am I being too simplistic in the approach I wonder?

no I do exactly the same thing :rofl:

Wanted a solution to my short wheel base (with rear kombi seats 2+1 seats and extra long ebikes.

Ended up with this, bit of a faf removing wheels but hey ho

67108072-9922-4E24-BDBE-08A9D4F93AAE.jpeg

D2BAD169-5678-4ADA-A687-6C9633B14818.jpeg

Has anyone tried fitting a Thule ProRide 591 into Caravelle rails?

As part of my A Level DT Product Design, I have developed a prototype for an internal slide out bike holder to fit a VW T6.

I developed this to enable easy access for storing and removing the bike from the van and as you can see in the pictures it was designed to fit alongside a bed solution as well.

It is made from plywood, has heavy duty extending runners and a rotating disk to move the handle bars. It is relatively lightweight and compact in design allowing for ease of use by 1 person.

I need to evaluate the prototype and would be really grateful if you could spare me 5 mins to complete my 10 questions survey monkey below.

Survey link;

Internal slide out bike holder prototype

Thanking you in advance, Connor.

bike photo 1.jpeg Bike photo 2.jpeg Bike photo 3.jpeg Bike photo 4.jpeg Bike photo 5.jpeg Bike photo 6.jpeg

As part of my A Level DT Product Design, I have developed a prototype for an internal slide out bike holder to fit a VW T6.

I developed this to enable easy access for storing and removing the bike from the van and as you can see in the pictures it was designed to fit alongside a bed solution as well.

It is made from plywood, has heavy duty extending runners and a rotating disk to move the handle bars. It is relatively lightweight and compact in design allowing for ease of use by 1 person.

I need to evaluate the prototype and would be really grateful if you could spare me 5 mins to complete my 10 questions survey monkey below.

Survey link;

Internal slide out bike holder prototype

Thanking you in advance, Connor.

View attachment 61171 View attachment 61172 View attachment 61173 View attachment 61174 View attachment 61176 View attachment 61177

I would really appreciate it if you could find the time to complete my son’s survey for his A level project. I asked him to design me a solution for storing my bike in the van whilst using my bed. I’m really pleased with the outcome (but I’m biased) he would really value objective feedback. All details in his post above - thanks in advance

I would really appreciate it if you could find the time to complete my son’s survey for his A level project. I asked him to design me a solution for storing my bike in the van whilst using my bed. I’m really pleased with the outcome (but I’m biased) he would really value objective feedback. All details in his post above - thanks in advance

Done, it's a good piece of kit by the looks of it.

I have completed the survey and then read the criteria of working with a bed arrangement. My initial response may seem a tad negative but not having a bed in the van and having a bulkhead behind the rear seats of a SWB Kombi, this simply wouldn't work; the van isn't long enough. For me I might get more enthusiastic about a sliding arrangement where the bikes are held sideways across the van?

I have completed the survey and then read the criteria of working with a bed arrangement. My initial response may seem a tad negative but not having a bed in the van and having a bulkhead behind the rear seats of a SWB Kombi, this simply wouldn't work; the van isn't long enough. For me I might get more enthusiastic about a sliding arrangement where the bikes are held sideways across the van?
Thanks for the responses, I forgot to mention that it was for a SWB Kombi

Filled in the survey. Might want to look at range of prices but nicely done on the A level project!

Back