swamper over sized wheel carrier

@Cnud, that's a great idea and looks good too. Did you have to add some longer bolts and spacers on the other end that hasn't been extended? And did you cut away the plastic cover above where the wheel sits as well?

I’m with Jog, that welding isn’t great, he shouldn’t be welding for others and should be focussed on learning to weld better.

welding isn’t that hard, granted I did learn at trade school, but you need time on the stick to refine your process before you offer your services.

@Cnud, that's a great idea and looks good too. Did you have to add some longer bolts and spacers on the other end that hasn't been extended? And did you cut away the plastic cover above where the wheel sits as well?
I needed a couple of spacers, again a few quid from eBay and I bought a long security bolt from California campers I think

Oh, and I cut the tray as I wanted the tyre fully inflated. The Seikel instructions are on the web for download but you basically just jigsaw this bit off and waxoyl the tyre well7FFB1D75-B207-4E40-ABD0-52ACD0685780.jpeg

Nope, but I can drop a tape measure on it tomorrow if you want the overall length

£245 - I'll be buying this one soon

Did you go for this? Tempted to grab this and then the front runner ladder, for not a lot more money than the Siekel under mount. I need to weigh my spare however as it mentions a 33kg limit. Cheap option is still to copy the mods in this thread and just throw it underneath though. I don’t mind it being on my roof but it fairly eats into capacity so I can’t carry water or other heavy kit up there.

Nope, but I can drop a tape measure on it tomorrow if you want the overall length
Did you get a chance to check the new OAL? Think I’m definitely going to get mine welded up. I don’t think I’ll need to weld any more height at the hinge end (I’m still 235 wide, same as my spare that came out). But given I don’t want to cut the plastics towards the rear I recon I need 1.5” or so to get around the wheel since it protrudes lower at that end.

It was 880mm overall length as I recall
Thanks. Going to take my plastic trim out first and see how I get on with that out (I’m 235/65R17) given how close it was on my first attempt. If that’s not enough then I’ll get a bit of an extension in. I think cutting the trim will make the largest difference. Given you are 245, are you on one of your extensions at the hinged end?

Thanks. Going to take my plastic trim out first and see how I get on with that out (I’m 235/65R17) given how close it was on my first attempt. If that’s not enough then I’ll get a bit of an extension in. I think cutting the trim will make the largest difference. Given you are 245, are you on one of your extensions at the hinged end?
Yep, using the first of my extension holes just to keep it all nice and parallel with the floor. If you take your trim out you may want to paint on some waxoyl or lanolin as it’s untreated where the plastic was.

Did you go for this? Tempted to grab this and then the front runner ladder, for not a lot more money than the Siekel under mount. I need to weigh my spare however as it mentions a 33kg limit. Cheap option is still to copy the mods in this thread and just throw it underneath though. I don’t mind it being on my roof but it fairly eats into capacity so I can’t carry water or other heavy kit up there.
No I havent yet. I do plan to but not got the spare cash at the minute

mmm too bad, there is no way to remove it after that without traces :/

Is there another solution for the two doors ? Like the solution there is for the T4 syncro for example...

VW-t4-Transporter-Syncro-Support-de-roue-de.jpg

I've recently been through a similar process, by fitting 235/55R18 tyres on Amarok rims on my new 4-motion T6.1.

While numerous people mentioned that this size tyre fit in the standard wheel carrier with the carrier set on lowest setting, we couldnt do it, even with the tyre deflated.

Without resorting to expensive Siekel carriers, I leant on a family friend who is a custom coachbuilder/panelbeater, and I'm pleased with the results.

We inserted shaped steel 25mm band at the front of the carrier, as per others on this thread.
&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.cdninstagram.jpg

Then, with some 25mm cut pipe as spacers at the front of the carrier, we were able to use the original bolts - longer bolts not required. The fitment of the bolts at the front does need some leverage from long screwdriver to bring the front of the carrier inline with the bolt holes.

We were able to use the factory bolt, noting that i'll replace the captive bolt (shorter thread) with a longer full thread version so both bolts have full thread engagement.

As a result, we didnt have to trim any of the plastic liner (those Siekel instructions to cut off the chassis bracket and then trim the plastic are shocking to me for such an expensive solution) and the tyre fits neatly in the slot - earlier it was a long way from fitting.
1684471487424.jpeg

Very happy with the result. The carrier sits maybe 25mm below the rear diff housing, and the rear approach angle not quite what it was, but its a good outcome for minimal cash.

Good job ! Not sure if the plastic spare wheel undertray is smaller on a T6.1 4mo but 235/55/18 fits in a standard T6 kombi inflated no problem. 245/65/17 and it needs trimming though as it’s 35mm bigger on the diameter.

We modify the standard carrier to fit a big wheel
Hi @BognorMotors ,
Please can you advise me on the spare wheel carrier on a t6.1 4motion.
Is it bigger to accommodate the original 17 x 7 steel spare wheel and if I fitted a 225/65 17 tyre, would it fit in the spare wheel position ?
What is the difference with your modified carrier?

Hi @BognorMotors ,
Please can you advise me on the spare wheel carrier on a t6.1 4motion.
Is it bigger to accommodate the original 17 x 7 steel spare wheel and if I fitted a 225/65 17 tyre, would it fit in the spare wheel position ?
What is the difference with your modified carrier?
We adapt the carrier as above to fit a specific size wheel - so whatever you want to fit, we make it to this size.

Back