Suspension Upgrade For Comfort Only?

Hello all, new to the forum and to the brand. I purchased a brand new 2015 T5 Multivan last week (smoking deal on old stock) and recently replaced the tyres as they were still the original ones and quite hard and old.

I'm now looking to improve ride quality as it's still bumpy here and there in the back. Have done some reading in this sub-forum and most posts seem to deal with both lowering and comfort improvements, however i'm not really looking to lower, more looking for the maximum comfort possible without going into air suspension (quite expensive and above my budget).

Would keeping the stock springs and adding some Koni or Bilstein dampers/shocks be enough, or would members recommend a full kit including springs?

Guidance from the experienced members here would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Mate I just purchased a 69 plate T32 Highline. First thing I did was to replace the pretty shitty OEM shocks and springs. After reading a lot of posts on here and making a few phone calls, as well as a couple of rides in done vans. I decided to replace the shocks with Koni Actives with H & R adjustable height springs. I went to Steve at CRS Performance. Very happy. I did have to get my wheels balanced / alined afterwards though. The ride is another level. It's not slammed. Only 40mm drop. But I would happily go a bit lower.

Quick update on my Koni / H&R shock setup that Steve at @CRS did. Just been down a road I usually hate as it's very bad surface and super bumpy which switches camber a lot :cry:. Wow what a difference. My T6 now right up there with some super nice cars that I've driven along it not vans. Very very comfy and super planted. No bangs and judders that you typically get with shorter springs with OEM shocks. No regrets here. One very happy customer. Thanks Steve you the man :)

Hi Mate I just purchased a 69 plate T32 Highline. First thing I did was to replace the pretty shitty OEM shocks and springs. After reading a lot of posts on here and making a few phone calls, as well as a couple of rides in done vans. I decided to replace the shocks with Koni Actives with H & R adjustable height springs. I went to Steve at CRS Performance. Very happy. I did have to get my wheels balanced / alined afterwards though. The ride is another level. It's not slammed. Only 40mm drop. But I would happily go a bit lower.

I’ve just picked up a brand new T32 after selling my T5.1 that was on air suspension. I find the standard T32 suspension better than the ride on air!

so your saying that the Koni H&R set up take that ride to another level again?

I’ve just picked up a brand new T32 after selling my T5.1 that was on air suspension. I find the standard T32 suspension better than the ride on air!

Absolutely without a doubt. I wanted 40mm drop on standard 17" Devonports. So I get a really comfy ride but still have firm and responsive drive that hugs the road. I don't carry heavy payload and you can custom set the ride height and shocks. It's not harsh, has no knocks. And is a massive improvement on the factory soft and wallowy ride that made everyone in the back feel sick.

We did a van last week with delivery miles ( 54 miles on the clock ) the owner couldn't believe the difference !!

Which "AIR" did you have on your T5?

Hello all, new to the forum and to the brand. I purchased a brand new 2015 T5 Multivan last week (smoking deal on old stock) and recently replaced the tyres as they were still the original ones and quite hard and old.

I'm now looking to improve ride quality as it's still bumpy here and there in the back. Have done some reading in this sub-forum and most posts seem to deal with both lowering and comfort improvements, however i'm not really looking to lower, more looking for the maximum comfort possible without going into air suspension (quite expensive and above my budget).

Would keeping the stock springs and adding some Koni or Bilstein dampers/shocks be enough, or would members recommend a full kit including springs?

Guidance from the experienced members here would be much appreciated. Thank
The Van is a T 32 or T 30 ( T28) the later 2 are more difficult to do as the entire brake , calliper and hub needs to come off . T 32 a piece of cake in comparison

I have done one on a drive way before I started my business and moved into a unit with lifts etc , not easy but possible

Land rover much easier to do in all honesty .

T32 shock kit £695.00 T 30 ( T28 ) £ 595.00 shipping 25 Quid

Our 2016 Caravelle is feeling quite used now ! Suspension is noisy, a bit crashy to me.
Not too fussed about lowering (although if I did, not by much), but what's best for comfort and composure on the road?

Our 2016 Caravelle is feeling quite used now ! Suspension is noisy, a bit crashy to me.
Not too fussed about lowering (although if I did, not by much), but what's best for comfort and composure on the road?

Before changing shocks, springs etc I'd get it up in the air and look for any worn bushes, drop links etc. You don't want to spend money on shocks only to find that lower arm bushes or top mounts were causing the problems and it's still not right.
I had Koni Special Active shocks fitted which made the van much more comfortable and composed without changing the factory ride height, I won't tell you Koni's are the best as I haven't tried alternatives, but I'm very happy with them and they're a huge improvement on the factory set up.

Any of the suspensions Guru has worked on a hybrid solution, air ride + koni active?
On the paper to me sounds good. @BognorMotors @CRS Performance
We have done some very strange things with great results similar to this , but to do it we would need to put air on the rear only . cant mix Active with air at this time . Might be able to develop it but if you are in a rush it wont work .

Hi guys,

I have a T5.1 T30 LWB lowered 40mm on H&R springs I find the ride a bit crashy I recently changed from 275/35/20 wheels and tyres to 18 inch 235/55/18 all terrain and the ride has improved considerably but I would like to improve the comfort levels.
Has anyone fitted the H&R with Meyle shocks and drop links kit and would you recommend also been looking at Vanslam coilovers but they seem to get contradictory opinions also seen the Eibach adjustable springs but they seem a bit expensive for just springs any advice or recommendations will be most appreciated.

Cheers
Mark

Back