Suspension Upgrade For Comfort Only?

harpua

Hello all, new to the forum and to the brand. I purchased a brand new 2015 T5 Multivan last week (smoking deal on old stock) and recently replaced the tyres as they were still the original ones and quite hard and old.

I'm now looking to improve ride quality as it's still bumpy here and there in the back. Have done some reading in this sub-forum and most posts seem to deal with both lowering and comfort improvements, however i'm not really looking to lower, more looking for the maximum comfort possible without going into air suspension (quite expensive and above my budget).

Would keeping the stock springs and adding some Koni or Bilstein dampers/shocks be enough, or would members recommend a full kit including springs?

Guidance from the experienced members here would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I may be proven wrong, but I'm not sure there will be that many of us that will have kept standard ride height, but looked to improve comfort. As you say, most of the threads/posts deal with lowering and comfort, with the odd one for raising ride height for the swamper look. :cool:

Having said that, there is a suspension expert as a member of the forum who might be able to offer advice. Steve @CRS Performance knows a thing or two and might be well placed to offer advice for standard ride height but improved comfort.

Also @BognorMotors has had great results, including with me, but I wanted lowering and comfort. Can you help out here?

It might help to describe in more detail what it is about the standard ride that you don't like. For example, does it feel too soft and therefore bounce around like a nodding dog, or does it feel too stiff for you and bang and crash over bumps? More to it than that, just trying to get some more specifics.

Thanks ChrisR for the quick reply - essentially when in the back, it seems like I can feel every little bump, nook and cranny on the road, even when on a highway/motorway. I would not describe the ride as soft or bouncy, but rather as too firm. Looking to soften out the bumps without making things too bouncy, if that makes sense.

Van load also plays a part in my opinion.
My empty kombi, (T30), on standard springs and dampers was very harsh, and although fitting -40 Cobra springs improved things very slightly, the ride was still unforgiving over bumps and a bit vague at motorway speeds.
However, my old T5 174 T30 loaded with around 450kgs of kit on rode much, much better with completely standard suspension. (springs and shocks).
I had Koni Active dampers and -40 H&R springs from CRS fitted, (to my kombi), and the ride is MILES better.

CRS fitted my -40 H&R springs and Koni dampers recently and it transformed the ride.

The koni dampers alone would improve the ride (IMHO) as they are much more sophisticated in their design than the standard VW items

In terms of load, it's used as a passenger vehicle so not much load in the back at all - 2/3 passengers and perhaps some golf clubs now and then.

Tyres - running on the stock 17s - fitted 235/55 Goodyear Excellence. Will check pressure when I can, I assume the tire shop followed ths spec. For comfort should I run a little lower than spec on the pressure?

Yeah, tyre pressure is a good point, having just had 19" Cantera's fitted with 255/45's Goodyear Eagles the tyre garage only put 32 psi in all round...!!

Well down on what most run them at.... So best to check and see what members with your set up recommend. :thumbsup:

As for suspension, there's some really helpful people that'll help you decide whats best for your requirements.... @CRS Performance and @BognorMotors

I wouldn't deviate too much from the VW recommended tyre pressure on standard wheels/tyres/suspension. Softer might be more comfortable, but could lead to other issues such as uneven wear, poor/unpredictable handing etc. As said above, wait to see if anyone with your setup has played around with pressures and had positive results.

Someone I know runs a T32 Kombi with 40psi in all 4 tyres and the ride is much smoother. The van never carries any weight so it doesn't seem to effect the road holding or tyre wear.

However, this is not what is recommended by VW and I am not suggesting or implying you or anyone should try this.

Tyres - running on the stock 17s - fitted 235/55 Goodyear Excellence. Will check pressure when I can, I assume the tire shop followed ths spec. For comfort should I run a little lower than spec on the pressure?

In my experience, all but the best tyre outlets just bang in some air, and don’t bother checking what it should be.
Definitely worth checking all 4 and letting us know what the pressures are.

Pete

Hello all, new to the forum and to the brand. I purchased a brand new 2015 T5 Multivan last week (smoking deal on old stock) and recently replaced the tyres as they were still the original ones and quite hard and old.

I'm now looking to improve ride quality as it's still bumpy here and there in the back. Have done some reading in this sub-forum and most posts seem to deal with both lowering and comfort improvements, however i'm not really looking to lower, more looking for the maximum comfort possible without going into air suspension (quite expensive and above my budget).

Would keeping the stock springs and adding some Koni or Bilstein dampers/shocks be enough, or would members recommend a full kit including springs?

Guidance from the experienced members here would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The most comfortable you can make the Van is KONI shocks with standard springs , Bilstein also do a very capable sport shock but due to the MONO tube style wont be as comfy as the Dual tube KONI shocks
Other advantages are that in future if you did decide to lower the van the KONI shock can be adjusted to accommodate . Bilstein B 6 isn't damping adjustable .
Also please don't fall into the trap that Air is more comfortable . the substituting of Steel springs to air isn't the deciding factor as they both need to be as stiff to hold the weight of the van The important thing is the shock fitted to the air ride and sadly more times than most its a cheap shock and that will not help comfort at all . gimmicky product fort show vans or a practical solution to level up a van on camp site , nothing to do with ride comfort , or indeed performance >

thanks for the replies everyone

Steve, thanks - As far as Koni goes, are the 8705 / 8205's the ideal ones for the application? noted about air - always thought air was the ultimate in comfort...thanks for schooling!

obviously this is a great and welcoming community you've got here folks, looking forward to making some contributions in the future.

Pete - will report my TP as soon as I can get a decent gauge! Lets see if the garage actually followed spec..

thanks for the replies everyone

Steve, thanks - As far as Koni goes, are the 8705 / 8205's the ideal ones for the application? noted about air - always thought air was the ultimate in comfort...thanks for schooling!

obviously this is a great and welcoming community you've got here folks, looking forward to making some contributions in the future.

Pete - will report my TP as soon as I can get a decent gauge! Lets see if the garage actually followed spec..
The special actives are 8705 and 8205 yes . if you decide to lower then we will use a different part number
We also use the Adjustable units if the client wants a sporty drive style . SA are all out comfort dampers .
The Part numbers will be changing soon as Koni are developing some new part numbers for me with the Camper Day van specifically catered for .

PSI clocked in at 45 all around...should I go down to 40?

Going to take Steve's advice and try the Koni dampers, will report back.

Think anyone will buy the factory dampers? Only 1000km on the van right now, practically new. Ebay?

Very interesting thread
Would you recommend the same Koni shocks for a 68plate Caravelle Exec which already has the VW stock lowered springs.

Overall the ride is fine but it does crash into cracks and over rough surfaces. Feels like there is no re-bound set on the shocks.

Very interesting thread
Would you recommend the same Koni shocks for a 68plate Caravelle Exec which already has the VW stock lowered springs.

Overall the ride is fine but it does crash into cracks and over rough surfaces. Feels like there is no re-bound set on the shocks.
Hi there , If the Caravelle has the standard 20 mm lower springs the Special active shocks would simply be the MOST comfortable shock that you can fit on the vehicle
I am awaiting stock but if you would like to go this route I can add you to the back order list and notify you when they arrive .
Many thanks Steve

I would love you to do it for me but I am right on the south coast near Eastbourne.
I have upgraded Land Rover Defender suspension before for both springs and Koni shocks so the rear looks very similar but the front is slightly different.
Can you do the fronts on a driveway and do you need to re-align suspension and/or wheel alignment after the change?

Can you advise supply only costs for shipment to me?

Thanks and regards

The Van is a T 32 or T 30 ( T28) the later 2 are more difficult to do as the entire brake , calliper and hub needs to come off . T 32 a piece of cake in comparison

I have done one on a drive way before I started my business and moved into a unit with lifts etc , not easy but possible

Land rover much easier to do in all honesty .

T32 shock kit £695.00 T 30 ( T28 ) £ 595.00 shipping 25 Quid

Thanks for the info. Mine is a T30. Now I need to think about this, especially the DIY option. I have undertaken a lot of vehicle renovations, servicing, upgrades etc but not for a few years now. I have the tools, but do I have the inclination?? I'll need to look at a manual to research the hub removal, brakes should be easy enough.

Off to ruminate....

Back