Supermarket fuel and dpf issues

I saw the pieces myself, and yes they were small. He's a mechanic I've used and trusted for years, and he wasn't trying to pull a fast one. If he was, he'd have shown me the fuel filter and said "look at theses bits,the fuel pump is buggered", but he didn't. He recommended keeping an eye on it.
Just realised this isn't your Transporter! Making the assumption we are still talking common rail, the normal wear particles you would struggle to see with a naked eye - to see them you normally have to open up the concertina paper filter and then get the microscope out. If we're talking particles that you can see by eye, I'd be fitting an inline filter on the fuel return (before the normal filter) to see if the particles are coming from the pump or the tank. Has this vehicle ever been filled with petrol by accident?

I know this is a contentious issue......but I stopped using supermarket fuel years ago.....before the silica incident. I use shell v power (petrol and diesel) exclusively. I was told by someone knowledgeable that supermarkets meter ethanol at the pump......one, more than most. I also use a diesel additive called diesel rhino. I started using this when I removed the EGR from my T5.....I couldn't believe my eyes......the thing was just a lump of oily diesel particulates. When I cleaned it off and gave the old girl a shot of D Rhino, the shite that came out of the back was scary.....if anyone had stood behind when I fired it up, they'd have looked like a Dickensian chimney sweep! The difference in throttle response was night and day. Maybe I'm over the top, but it's 100% v power plus Diesel Rhino for me. I spent a lot of money on this van......I do 8000 miles a year........I ain't sweating over 10p/l. My sister in law had a new Golf about 5 years ago........only ever did short trips, never got warmed up properly and ran like a dog. I told her to try V power....she noticed the difference straight away. It's wrong that we have to get all anal over bloody diesel.....the vehicle manufacturers should be shot with shit........the government scientists/global warming "experts" and that w*nker who was the pm before Cameron (w****r).......they should be shot with shit too. Let's face it, we're part of a big experiment/balls up......call it what you will! Now we're all beginning to wonder what's gonna happen to the residuals on our filthy diesels........the same ones people were encouraged by the experts to buy! So, I'll just keep taking it up the "tradesmans" so as not to damage my motor.
Ahhhhhh.........aaaaannndddddddd breathe......feels better to have gotten that off my chest! :thumbsup:

I guess the ultimate question is 'fuel additives are the worth the extra pence per litre?'

I guess the ultimate question is 'fuel additives are the worth the extra pence per litre?'
Well Ed......it's like this: It's worth it to me for the piece of mind......I'm just trying minimise future DPF/EGR issues. Should I have to go to these lengths........NO......I bloody well shouldn't! If I was a high miler, I might take a different view? It is what it is. :thumbsup:

I used to run a Hi-lux on veg oil. It was a common rail, and with the veg oil having a lower cetane value, I would add some 2-ehn. I don`t have the hilux any more, but have kept using a small dose of the 2-ehn every time I fill up. Works for me

i had a passat years ago that had an in line filter before main fuel filter it caught lot of dirty and easy to clean as well . Not sure if guy who had it before me had put it in but it worked well.

I'd thought for a while that dpf/egr issues were fuel related and also that they also seemed to increase in winter, purely from anecdotal evidence.

In the UK there are two general diesels, summer and winter, good to a cloud point of -5C and -15C respectively. Some premium diesels increase this a bit further which to me would say they are a slightly higher octane.

Now I live in the Czech republic where they have 4 different diesels depending on the time of year. There range from summer 0C to winter -20C.

All the diesels are to EN 590 but are different in terms of their cloud point.

Screenshot_20180101-005838.jpg Screenshot_20180101-005912.jpg

There arnt that many supermarket filling stations and I use a fuel just called diesel + additive from a budget filling station. My plan is to still fill 1 in 10 with a super dooper Shell vpower type fuel.

Back