Supermarket fuel and dpf issues

Dieseldonkey

150 DSG Shuttle Conversion
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Found this article written on Facebook, apparently from Pendle Performance. I thought supermarket fuel came from the same refinery (Grangemouth for Scotland) as branded stuff and was the same quality to comply with the British Standard. Could be wrong though. Interesting read, especially section on the regen processes......

Modern Diesel Engines - Poor Fuel Grade

This has been a topic of debated many times on forums / groups about super market fuels over premium brand fuel.

What we want to do is give honest facts of what we find when dyno testing and also health checks on modern Diesel engines that customers use the cheaper super market fuels.

The modern Diesel engine now has emissions control systems such as the dpf and egr. The dpf catches and stores soot and uses passive Regen and active Regen cycles to burn the soot off.

Passive Regen Cycle happens when ever the conditions are met such as the dpf reaching a set temp and then the soot build up passively burns off, now usually passive Regen is aimed at taking place when on the motorway and the vehicle at a set speed for a period of time that generates engine and dpf temps.

Active Regen Cycle happens when the engine control unit sees the dpf is at a said soot volume load this is measured by a pressure difference sensor and then the ecu takes over and does a forced Regen Cycle this can be altering the timing, injecting more fuel and the ecu will do a looped active Regen Cycle until the soot volume is lowered. Now if the dpf soot volume doesn't lower you will end up with limp mode and stored Fault codes.

(Note one Fault code that is usually stored is a negative boost deviation as in under boost, many garages and main dealers look at this Fault code and instantly think the turbo is faulty and replace the turbo then only to have same fault, it's due to dpf blocked and back pressure which causes the turbo to struggle to spool)

Ok back to fuel grade... ideally what we need is a cleanest running Diesel engine we can so as to take care of our dpf systems. The cheaper super market fuels we see do not combust as clean as the premium grade diesel and with the cheaper fuel not getting a clean burn generates huge increase in soot volume inside the dpf system.

This week we have seen a T6 2.0TDI-CR 140bhp with just 21k miles that had a blocked dpf causing limp mode and also causing turbo boost pressure faults

We have also seen a 2015 Ford Transit 2.2TDCI Euro5 with 24k Mileage that's already been to Ford for a DPF Pre Vaporiser (injector) and also high dpf soot load, we managed to do a Forced Regen on this and lower the soot volume and advised customer to use premium diesel and report back.

Please anyone with a modern Diesel engine use premium diesel in ur vehicle, yes it might cost a little more at the pump but trust me it's going to save you a huge amount in the long run.

DPF Health Care

1, Use Premium Grade Diesel (also the higher ultimate grade)
2, Limit the short start / stop runs you do
3, Don't let the vehicle sit ticking over
4, Good long runs on the motorway and use a lower gear so the engine is working as in rpm higher so as the engine gets to a higher temp
5, Service the engine regular, ignore the nonsense long life service main dealers push, this is just sales crap to sell more vehicles, every 8-10k Mileage service the engine, oil and filters use genuine spec oil and also genuine OEM filters

We see more and more dpf related issues in the winter months this is due to outside temps much lower and vehicle struggling to get to the desired temp to do a passive Regen Cycle.

I had a 2009 T5 ran on anything i could get hold of. At less than 50k and 4 years old Volkswagen condemned the engine.
Consequently my T5.1 only runs on Shell. Its 5 years old and has 50k.
No issues, never had a dpf, turbo or egr value absolutely nothing has been needed on this engine. Could it be the Diesel going in...? Who knows ?
But the check list above, pretty much agree with every point and run my vehicle in a very similar manner.

Interesting read, I must admit I do tend to use supermarket fuel more than premium. I'm also at 10k and should do an interim service.
I shall also watch the discussions unfold and see what is said.

When they say premium fuel is that meaning standard fuel from a branded petrol station (shell/esso) or the actual premium diesel thats circa 10p/litre more expensive ??

I think they just mean branded fuel such as fuel from shell or Texaco as in the DPF health care section it refers to premium diesel and then the high grade afterwards. I might be wrong though.

I think they just mean branded fuel such as fuel from shell or Texaco as in the DPF health care section it refers to premium diesel and then the high grade afterwards. I might be wrong though.
In Bristol the majority of petrol stations are now either Tescos or Sainsbury's I wonder if these are selling the cheaper fuel or the branded fuels? I think most of the Tesco ones were previously Esso.

We've had this discussion many times. I ran our work 2006 Vivaro from 30k all the way to 300k on only premium fuel, including Shell V-power and BP Ultimate. The older Vivaro's are common for certain fuel system issues, but our's never went wrong in all the time we owned it. 2 years ago we purchased the new Vivaro and ran that for the last 2 years again, on only premium fuel, covering 90k. Again, there were no issues with anything to do with the fuel system. Ok, the rest of the new vivaro fell apart around me, and it was possibly the worst van we'd ever purchased (hence moving to the T6) but the actual fueling system was perfect.
Was this because of the fuel I used? Who knows, but as a mobile business that travels all over the UK every day, the loss i'd suffer from an unreliable vehicle far outweighs the cost of the extra fuel.
The new T6 will have the same treatment. Shell V-Power from zero miles, till the day I change it.

When I bought my T5 4 years ago (Listers Coventry) told me never to use Morrisons diesel... BMW told my wife never to use Tesco fuel.... so we tend to use Shell. Must confess I do fill up occasionally with supermarket fuel, I just make sure it's not every time. Fingers crossed!

No one told me what to use I tend to fill up at Tesco, really do not see the point in paying 10 p a letter more for fuel. I personally think the manufacturers are just sucking it up to the big sellers like shell & bp and are pressurised by them. Back in the 1970s jet had bad press. Problems now are more likely down to how you drive and Tesco or who ever get blamed for it. The fuel has to be a STD to use and it is from what Incan seee

well i'm in big trouble then - nothing but supermarket fuel around here.. and just to really rub it in, not a mile of motorway within 50 miles of me for those "hard runs" to get the temperature up :/

I use a selection - basically whats closest to where I am when i need it. Never ever had an issue and never used the expensive stuff.

I tend to use Texaco and Sainsburys the most as nearest to home and work.

The 2007 supermarket fuel problems was warning enough for me!

Haven't used supermarket fuel since, only main brands.

Is it possible that in times gone past the old diesel engines could manage with 'supermarket' diesel but now the engines are so refined that this cheap stuff is no good and almost not fit for purpose?

Has there ever been a proper science based study of the various diesels available, a neutral tester, control groups etc. Etc?

Genuine question.

Surely someone has tested this stuff without the huge variable of a vehicle being involved.

Has there ever been a proper science based study of the various diesels available, a neutral tester, control groups etc. Etc?

Genuine question.

Surely someone has tested this stuff without the huge variable of a vehicle being involved.
Email myth busters... jokes aside very valid point.

Genuine question.

I offered Shell the sale of our 2015 Vivaro that had used their V-Power from zero miles, to 90,000 miles, with all fuel receipts to proves this. They didn't even reply to my email, which I thought was a little daft, because if it's as good as they claim, they could of used the stripped down engine for some amazing real-world use marketing.

Shell have more than enough money to do this themselves and probably already have lol

Sorry just find it funny when you said ‘they didnt even reply to my email’ - sorry mate its tickled me.

I agree with DPF health care points 2 - 4 and somewhat point 5 (as far as the DPF is concerned). Unless you're getting your diesel supplied in a dirty bucket from a third world country, you have very little to worry about.

If indeed this was posted by Pendle, I'd be more interested to know how their maps affect soot output.

Back