Streamline/poptops UK roof box

Chris_t6.1

T6 Pro
Hi,

Looking for advice on fitting roof rails and box to my Poptop. The top is manufactured by Poptops UK who have rebranded to Streamline. The website suggests that roof rails can be fitted and it can take a max load of 40KGs.

I contacted a local fitter who recommended against fitting them as they have seen the roof fail and bend due to the roof box.

I have searched the forum and the internet and can’t find any similar experiences, can anyone help me with their own experience either good or bad?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

Hi,

Looking for advice on fitting roof rails and box to my Poptop. The top is manufactured by Poptops UK who have rebranded to Streamline. The website suggests that roof rails can be fitted and it can take a max load of 40KGs.

I contacted a local fitter who recommended against fitting them as they have seen the roof fail and bend due to the roof box.

I have searched the forum and the internet and can’t find any similar experiences, can anyone help me with their own experience either good or bad?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Mine is an Austops so may or may not be the same style. There is info on this forum somewhere about fitting roof rails, including links to videos. I bought a set rated at more than 70kg, but don't intend putting that much on the roof!

Put mine on twice - should have done it better the first time but you live and learn. The rails sit outboard of the canvas so no worries about leaks into the van, or so I thought. There was leakage past the bolts through the roof that flowed onto the canvas at the front fixing. That is where my canvas has zipped vents and when folded the canvas is inside the van. The water pooled in the folded canvas and went through the zips - I got a wet drivers seat.

Attempt two was, having seen advice on here, to attach the bolts the 'wrong way' - thank you to whoever that was. The bolt is inserted from below the roof with washes below and above the fibreglass roof, tightened with a (self locking) nut on the top and with sealant under the washes. The fixed threaded bolt then sticks up and you attach the rails to the protruding bolts - make sure they are the right length. A bit more fiddly but works a treat. I also put some short steel spreader plates on the underside just for good measure. The rear fixings went through the back of the hinges so no plate required there.

Hope that helps.

Hi Chris,

Mine is an Austops so may or may not be the same style. There is info on this forum somewhere about fitting roof rails, including links to videos. I bought a set rated at more than 70kg, but don't intend putting that much on the roof!

Put mine on twice - should have done it better the first time but you live and learn. The rails sit outboard of the canvas so no worries about leaks into the van, or so I thought. There was leakage past the bolts through the roof that flowed onto the canvas at the front fixing. That is where my canvas has zipped vents and when folded the canvas is inside the van. The water pooled in the folded canvas and went through the zips - I got a wet drivers seat.

Attempt two was, having seen advice on here, to attach the bolts the 'wrong way' - thank you to whoever that was. The bolt is inserted from below the roof with washes below and above the fibreglass roof, tightened with a (self locking) nut on the top and with sealant under the washes. The fixed threaded bolt then sticks up and you attach the rails to the protruding bolts - make sure they are the right length. A bit more fiddly but works a treat. I also put some short steel spreader plates on the underside just for good measure. The rear fixings went through the back of the hinges so no plate required there.

Hope that helps.
Hi Syd, where did you get your rails from?

Cheers,

Fraz

Didn’t spot this first time round. I have a Streamline, and I use Karitek channel and a Karitek Easyload rack. I’ve had a canoe and sea kayak on with no issues so far.

IMG_1142.jpeg

Back