Stop start workaround?

maxdefrost

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Earlier I found some inspiration via Subaru forum... hidden in a random thread it was suggested that stop-start technology is often disabled when the towing electrics has a load or circuit connected to it. (Having had a starter motor failure on a 2 year old E class recently I’m slightly £ paranoid!) So I had a google:

Tow bar questions

Towbar - dedicated electrics (UKCampsite.co.uk Trailer Tents and Folding Campers Forum)

So could something plugged into the (dedicated) towing electrics trick the system? Has anyone tried? Might it be a non-destructive warranty friendly workaround? Or might it be not that easy!

Would one of these CTEK adaptors work:

Tow electrics charger adapter - CTEK/Accumate/Optimate etc - DISCO3.CO.UK - Shop

Or maybe just an additional brake light wired into a towing electric adapator affixed to the towbar?

I did read somewhere about being able to disable it with some VCDS coding. You can enable something which does that same job, just can’t remember exactly what it is.

I like the option suggested by Gembletoo a few months back, but I’m not giving the VW warranty team ANY wriggle room!

I'd imagine the same trickery to turn off stop start via the towing mode also turns off the reverse sensors

Back