Which tow bar electrics? Or does it not matter?

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have decided I am going to fit a tow bar. Van does not have tow bar prep.

I have decided on this Tow Trust bar.

I will probably only use 7 pin trailer. However I might as well fit 13-pin electrics to future proof. Is this a daft idea?

Now, will any electric kit work with any tow bar? Are Any electric kits better than others?

I'm looking at this one.

Thanks

oh yeh . . . Gotcha. (missed that - OOops)

I chatted to PFJones and their own kit is much easier to install than the westfalia. Fewer connections to make and under seat fuse box not involved / needed. The aux power (for fridges in caravans) adds complexity as its an ignition switched live - with westfalia this is a second wiring kit. Not sure with PFJ?

ps - you can access the PFJ install instructions via the actual product page on their web site

I chatted to PFJones and their own kit is much easier to install than the westfalia. Fewer connections to make and under seat fuse box not involved / needed. The aux power (for fridges in caravans) adds complexity as its an ignition switched live - with westfalia this is a second wiring kit. Not sure with PFJ?

ps - you can access the PFJ install instructions via the actual product page on their web site
Hmm ok. The kit I linked isnt Westfalia, do they make their own? IS PFJones their own loom or an ECS one?

My Tow Trust bar has the less common Conwys AG electrics fitted. Works perfectly. PF Jones usually use the ECS loom I believe.

If you use the 7pin adapter (which I do on my trailer) remember to remove it with the trailer as it disables the fog light. It had VW service hunting for a fault on the fog light for some time!!!:whistle:

My Tow Trust bar has the less common Conwys AG electrics fitted. Works perfectly. PF Jones usually use the ECS loom I believe.
Thanks , do you have a link for the ConwysAG?
I thought PFJones and ECS are different. Or at least the instructions suggest subtle differences, particularly with grommets.

ecs would be my preferred, used a few times now.
I recently fitted the pfjones 7-pin electrics with Westfalia removable hitch.

It won’t affect me soon, or maybe ever, but on reflection I probably should have fitted the 13-pin.

That said, the install was physically challenging and takes time, but not especially complex.

The Westfalia tow bar is a brilliant bit of kit. So pleased with how it attaches so easily and disappears completely when not in use.

If you use the 7pin adapter (which I do on my trailer) remember to remove it with the trailer as it disables the fog light. It had VW service hunting for a fault on the fog light for some time!!!:whistle:
Never thought of that! I’ve been leaving mine in to avoid losing it! I’ve thought of changing the trailer plug but the adaptors are way cheaper than a new plug!!!

Never thought of that! I’ve been leaving mine in to avoid losing it! I’ve thought of changing the trailer plug but the adaptors are way cheaper than a new plug!!!
I just leave mine attached to the trailer end to avoid losing it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks , do you have a link for the ConwysAG?
I thought PFJones and ECS are different. Or at least the instructions suggest subtle differences, particularly with grommets.
Sorry I don't, it was fitted by previous owner. Took me ages to work out what make the electrics were. Was just making the point that there seem to be several manufacturers of suitable dedicated electrics kits.

Back