Stop Start fail. Engine won’t turn over.

Whilst in heavy traffic and during the hottest day for many weeks my van has broken down. Sat at lights and the Stop/Start kicks in, when I depress the clutch to continue with my journey the engine won’t start - dash tells me to start manually - the engine won’t turn over. I can hear the relay clicking but nothing else happens.

The dash now says - ‘Check Safelock’. Not entirely sure what that means, is it related to the ignition switch? When I got back in the van after a lady sat in the drivers seat for me to push the van up a hill and off the roundabout the ignition key turned all the way round.

Not sure if the following is related: the van has had an intermittent issue with the Stop/Start in that sometimes when I depress the clutch to continue on the journey, the engine starts up and then shuts down again when I set off.

Start manually means put back into neutral, clutch down key off and then back on and start.

Safelock, ignore that it just has to do with deadlocks on the door.

Is the battery flat and not charging?

I’m not sure. It’s been in the van since I bought it 13 months ago but both recovery drivers advised that the battery was too small and not a Stop Start battery.

I’m thinking the main fault is the starter motor as it still wouldn’t turn over with their jump packs connected. I will replace the battery with a suitable one too.

Any other suggestions? I know it need to go in to the garage for correct fault diagnostics but it’s looking like I have a two week wait - seems everyone down here has vehicle issues at the same time!

I’m not sure. It’s been in the van since I bought it 13 months ago but both recovery drivers advised that the battery was too small and not a Stop Start battery.

I’m thinking the main fault is the starter motor as it still wouldn’t turn over with their jump packs connected. I will replace the battery with a suitable one too.

Any other suggestions? I know it need to go in to the garage for correct fault diagnostics but it’s looking like I have a two week wait - seems everyone down here has vehicle issues at the same time!

This is exactly what happened to my motor. Van eventually wouldn't start requiring a jump every time - VW assist (AA guy) came out first and said the wrong battery was fitted and not start/stop compatible so the battery was done in.

Logged a complaint with VW and kept pestering the VW assist manager who then arranged for a proper VW assist engineer to come out who had a replacement battery who swapped it out on the driveway.

VW went back to the dealer to find out where this battery came from as the van was only 6 months old when I bought it Oct 2020. Apparently as the battery was in a working state at the time of the in depth checks VW do, the battery would have never been inspected so wouldn't have been picked up.

The VW assist engineer took the battery away with him saying he'd been told they'd be looking into as obviously VW were covering the cost of this replacement battery. Speaking with the manager at VW a few days later I was then told the battery was disposed off or never made it back to the office so they coudnl't look into it further....

I thought it was maybe a one off considering the van was a ex-hire and some chancer had taken the battery for his own van or something, replacing it with this unsuitable one.

Sounds like there might be several vans leaving VW with incorrect batteries then as our vans are roughly the same age.

Sorry, I should clarify:
I bought the van just over a year ago but it was used - it’s a 2016 model. It was an ex fleet van to my knowledge though. Here’s a pic of the battery:

00EE9609-2162-4B96-A2AE-349C8CAAB52A.jpeg

Do you know what they will be supplying?
Have they said that they will also code the battery onto the vehicle for you?

I think 75aH is the right size but Googling that battery code it looks to be non compatible with Start Stop, which is probably your problem.

6BE51474-F233-49B4-991F-80EE10AD753F.jpeg

Personally I wouldn’t let halfords near my van !!
I know a bloke who worked in the cycling department, they built minor faults into the bikes when assembling to get the customers back into the store to buy more crap.
That was under instruction of management.

Do you know what they will be supplying?
Have they said that they will also code the battery onto the vehicle for you?

There’s no mention of coding being carried out specifically. It was booked on their website which states - professional fitting is recommended as most vehicles require the battery to be registered to the computer.
I think 75aH is the right size but Googling that battery code it looks to be non compatible with Start Stop, which is probably your problem.

View attachment 129601
Yep, it looks like the replacement battery is 75Ah too.
Personally I wouldn’t let halfords near my van !!
Installing a battery, I would like to think even Halfords can do that without any problems.

You might be surprised! I would rather a real mechanic worked on my van.

Saves me going there and collecting the battery which is what I was about to do before I realised they’d bring it to me and fit if for only £20.
I still don’t understand why you don’t trist them to fit a battery?

Well the man from Halfords managed to install the battery without blowing the van up.
Unfortunately though the same fault remains and the starter won’t turn over.

Back