Stone chip... :o(

Jonesy68

What do I need to buy next...
VIP Member
T6 Guru
So I have just got a stone chip on my passenger door and want to get it repaired ASAP :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I am hoping it can be fixed with just a touch up/sand/polish rather than getting the door sprayed.
Any ideas?
20231016_175428.jpg
20231017_073701.jpg

20231017_073701.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
There's loads of videos on YouTube that will help. I've touched up a few stonechips on both my Daytona Grey Audi Q5 and my Acapulco Blue T6 and you've got to look quite closely to find them. If I can do it, anybody can.

Yes I have been watching loads of them and the finish is amazing. I'm more worried about paying for the whole door and then thinking the shade is slightly different on the whole door rather than perhaps seeing a slight difference where its been touched in...
I don't think I will do it myself either way, will try and get a company round to touch it in.

I’ve just done two scratches on SWMBOs Octavia door. It still needs a bit more buffing to get perfect….I think the key is flatting back the new paint before it goes rock hard. I left this about 40 mins on a warm day. Also mixed the base and lacquer to do the touch up (OEM touchup kit)IMG_1326.jpegIMG_1331.jpeg

Ouch, nightmare :unsure:

If you're through the base/primer layer an exposing the metal then you want to get something on it. If you decide to do go with a body shop later they should be able to deal with polishing it back once it's cured, so long as you focus on good prep. Better than dealing with the start of corrosion.

I'm booking it in with Chips Away, they said they can touch it in which "shouldn't" notice or they could do the touch in and clear coat the lower part of the whole door which would be less visable...
But I'm not 100% sure about having that much work done on my drive and not in a spray booth.
Anyway will see what the cheaper touch in looks like and take it from there..

I'm booking it in with Chips Away, they said they can touch it in which "shouldn't" notice or they could do the touch in and clear coat the lower part of the whole door which would be less visable...
But I'm not 100% sure about having that much work done on my drive and not in a spray booth.
Anyway will see what the cheaper touch in looks like and take it from there..
One of the "at home" companies fixed a low wall scrape on my neighbours BMW soft top (blue metallic) in not great weather and the finish was excellent. They had a fleet of lights and windbreaks to do it.

And no I'm not a nosy neighbour, we have a big shared drive between the two houses (so we had to coordinate vehicles to get the touch up done) and get on quite well :cool:

Had it touched in today. Not a great finish. I was hoping for it to be more invisible. Don't know if all the YouTube videos I watched were staged but seen some really good repairs. At least it is sealed now anyway.

Back