Step / Guide / dumping ground to Lining, Sound-Deadening and Insulating

I have used the 8me foam with foil on the face and sticky backed .
Nothing about condensation as I only put it on yesterday .

1485273549866.jpg

Just wondering, someone I was speaking to said not to use the factory fitted panels for carpeting (I thought with a rough sanding they would be ok)

Do others agree with this? I am assuming i would go down the plywood route..

Cheers
Tom

Van all insulated ,sound proofing and carpet lined .
One peice headlining ,6 led's in the roof ,2 in the tailgate .12 volt socket and two way light switches .
First one I have done and really enjoyed it ,and we'll chuffed with the result.

IMAG2287.jpg IMAG2289.jpg IMAG2290.jpg IMAG2291.jpg IMAG2292.jpg IMAG2293.jpg IMAG2294.jpg

Looks great! How long did it take you?
I have been on it for 7 days ,but not full time .I did the work in a friend's unit ,so had to pack up and drive home every day .

I have been on it for 7 days ,but not full time .I did the work in a friend's unit ,so had to pack up and drive home every day .
Nice. The one piece roof intrigues me..... well played!!
I don't have a unit.... or the knowhow..... or the time..... and definitely not the patience!!
Hence slidepods are working their magic on my behalf!!!

Nice. The one piece roof intrigues me..... well played!!
I don't have a unit.... or the knowhow..... or the time..... and definitely not the patience!!
Hence slidepods are working their magic on my behalf!!!
I had my last kombi done for me and they did the one piece headlining .
I got one 8x4 sheet of ply ,cut the lights out and then fixed it up .Then the hard part gluing the headlining cloth to it, without getting any creases ,that did take two people .
It looks far better than having the joint in the middle .

I had my last kombi done for me and they did the one piece headlining .
I got one 8x4 sheet of ply ,cut the lights out and then fixed it up .Then the hard part gluing the headlining cloth to it, without getting any creases ,that did take two people .
It looks far better than having the joint in the middle .
Nice one... this is my first van. I nearly cried when I had the interior light out... the A pillars out the door seals off the steps up and not a clue how it all went back together!!!
Little steps!!

Brilliant job! I really like the roof. How did you fix the carpeted edging board around the outside your one piece roof?

Also, is the roof lining the one from mega van mats?

Last edited:
Brilliant job! I really like the roof. How did you fix the carpeted edging board around the outside your one piece roof?

Also, is the roof lining the one from mega van mats?
I put small screws through the carpet ,and some small self tapers along the edge .
Head lining and all lining is from Harrison's trim supplies .

Is this kit reasonably priced?

Campervan Upgrade Bundle

I'd probably look to add a bit more insulation to fill the voids too, keep the warmth in and the cold out.

I was thinking of a couple of bags of this

B&Q Home Eco Loft Insulation, (L)3m (W)370mm (T)200mm | Departments | DIY at B&Q

Eco friendly too!

And to line it all, would you say 2 packs of this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMPERVAN-CONVERSION-SOFT-TRIM-STRETCH-CARPET-5M-X-2M-VAN-LINING-T5-T6-CUSTOM-VW
Have a look at Harrison's trim supplies they do everything you need ,not bad price

Harrisson Trim Supplies are a great company and Danielle is lovely to deal with. When we started up we used them a lot to supply a multitude of products including their easyliner carpet. These days we buy rolls of carpet from the same supplier as Mega Van Mats. Here is the direct comparisson of the two from a company with the ability to make a first hand informed decision thus helping you choose the right carpet for your needs.
Cost - obviously we buy rolls and we choose to pay more for a 30m roll of the Mega stretch type carpet than a 40m roll of easyliner.
Quality - We prefer Mega Stretch or we wouldn't use it a 30m roll is as fat as a 40m easyliner this tells me its around 25% thicker/denser.
Application - We found that the Easyliner can be prone to a bit of glue seepage on rare occasions due to inconsistencies in the thickness.
Safety - Mega Stretch has passed the EC118 fire resistance tests / Easyliner has passed the UK trading standards equivilent which consists of exactly the same test criteria.
In conclusion.......
We have achieved great results with both carpets but choose the Mega Stretch as the quality is undoubtedly superior to the Easyliner and we pride ourselves on only using the very best materials available to convert vans.

I hope for those of you taking on the job of lining your vans your selves this comparison helps you choose your carpet supplier.

Here are some shots of our work

Back