Steering wheel off centre

Coming from the same old guy who once had to change, in the wet Winter gutter outside parents house, the shell bearings for the second time after fitting a new crankshaft to my Ford Corsair 2000e.
Much older guy who supervised me didn’t explain half the shells had a hole in the middle!
Oh my god. 50/50 chance please tell me you got the oil feed hole in the block not the caps?

I know I’m an old numpty, but…..
in the old days, 70s-80s…
No, the 1970s-80s before the bright sparks chip in!
If alignment sorted correctly and steering wheel still out, moving the steering wheel one spline on its mounting was often suggested.
And I did say If…
Andy
Depends on the spline pitch, but one spline is usually a huge amount! and never the correct amount.

Update! After 3 x qtr turns on both sides, the steering wheel seems to be all good. When the steering wheel is centered whilst driving, the vam doesn't veer to the right. So I can only assume that I have done it right?

So does this mean that the tyres wont wear evenly?

As a side note, thanks for all the replies and to @northanmonkey for his hints and tips which seems to have workerd.

Update! After 3 x qtr turns on both sides, the steering wheel seems to be all good. When the steering wheel is centered whilst driving, the vam doesn't veer to the right. So I can only assume that I have done it right?

So does this mean that the tyres wont wear evenly?

As a side note, thanks for all the replies and to @northanmonkey for his hints and tips which seems to have workerd.
If you have adjusted both side equally then the total toe angle won’t have changed because the distance between the two track rod ends hasn’t changed. :thumbsup:

Oh my god. 50/50 chance please tell me you got the oil feed hole in the block not the caps?
I did the second time!
First time I just slid them from the stack, lubricated each, as instructed, and into place.
We made it from Chippenham, up the M4 until nearly Swindon, before the engine decided it didn’t want to work any more!
Fine wet and dry ‘cleaned’ the crankshaft before second go.
I was a day or two late collecting my grandad from Norwich…..

I did the second time!
First time I just slid them from the stack, lubricated each, as instructed, and into place.
We made it from Chippenham, up the M4 until nearly Swindon, before the engine decided it didn’t want to work any more!
Fine wet and dry ‘cleaned’ the crankshaft before second go.
I was a day or two late collecting my grandad from Norwich…..
:oops:

Back