Starting problems

Joney

Hi all
I have a 2015 t6 and has developed a starting problem when left overnight, seems to be worse when left unlocked and problem getting worse.

The first turn of the key engine turns momentarily for a split second but fails to start, subsequent turns of the key nothing happens.

Locking the van and leaving for a minute sometimes helps and then starts as normal.

Once started the problem disappears until the next day.

Had recent battery six months ago and have just checked with multimeter 12.8v

Any help muchly appreciated

Faulty starter?
Bad ground?
Corroded terminals?

Tried a voltage reading when it's turning over?

Are you saying it's temperature or time related?

Maybe try a battery monitor to check the voltage levels over time ..?

There are some discussions on the Forum about the unlocking and opening of the drivers door operating the fuel lift pump.
Not all owners agree so it may be certain variants or depend on manufacture date.
Have a search.

Thanks
I’m going to check the voltage in the morning and if necessary boost it with a jump starter and see if that helps.

Saw an interesting thread about fuel priming when drivers door is opened and this seems to have effect.

But going to start investigating battery & voltage & earth connections.

Only happens first start of the day, although don’t think it’s temperature related, more time related. Eventually starts after locking and unlocking several times.

I think that I have opened my driver's door less than 10 times in 3 years, I either enter from the slider or the passenger's door ( easier to get in from the pavement ) so I doubt that fuel priming is a problem.
Common problem on the old T3s - usually poor/corroded contact on an earth strap somewhere allowing voltage to read ok but current cannot pass sufficiently well.

Fuel priming won't stop the starter motor turning over.

That symptom will be low rail pressure causing extended cranking time.

Fuel prime on my van is only when IGN is switched on.

Failing to turn over will be starter or electrical for starter motor.(power or control) ..... including low voltage issues.

Reactions: mmi
Yes that does make sense, although starts after going through the process of locking/unlocking, sometimes several times.

Can you get a video clip on your phone and post it here?

Just post the link to your gallery or put it on YouTube etc.

Back