Squeak/Screech when Pulling Away?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Faults Warranty Repairs Issues & Problems' started by Jonny, 17 Apr 2017.

1. Jonny

Jonny 204PS/Highline/Kombi/LWB/T32 VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    My van has developed a squeak/screech when pulling away. Only happens in first gear.

The van is only 3 months old, doesn't sound like it comes from the engine bay either (otherwise I would've guessed a belt issue). Almost half way down instead.

Can anyone help?

Here's a quick vid pulling away...

Last edited: 17 Apr 2017
  2. Northern Monkey

Northern Monkey Indium grey caravelle VIP Member T6 Guru

Jonny likes this.
  3. Jonny

Map
    Well it sounded mental this morning. AA came out and checked belts which ended up being fine. My van is now at VW since this morn and I've just been told by them my belts are fine too. Not sure how long they're going to keep it in for. Apparently, they've not heard of this type of problem before which hardly puts my mind at rest. But, hopefully it's a minor issue. Loner vehicle is a Caddy Maxi and within 10 yards I started missing my T6.

4. HootingOwl

HootingOwl Senior Member T6 Pro

Sounds like exhaust or turbo whistle

Jonny and Northern Monkey like this.
  5. Northern Monkey

Northern Monkey Indium grey caravelle VIP Member T6 Guru

Hope you get it sorted soon fella :thumbsup: let us know how you get on

Jonny likes this.
  6. Jonny

Map
    VW rang me asking me to pick up my van in the morning as they can't identify the problem. Apparently it's not made a noise since they've had it for the last two days...

Why, all of a sudden, is it fine? It was constantly making that squeal to the point I can even get it on video.

I kinda feel stupid them telling me there's nothing wrong. Do I just pick it up and go away?

7. Jonny

Map
    Turned up this morning to pick up the van and as soon as I pull away it makes the screeching noise. Luckily the guy who works for VW heard it too as he was walking back in. I still can't believe they couldn't find the issue when it was in their possession. He kinda shrugged his shoulders and didn't know what to suggest. All he could say was that he'll speak to his manager. I have a feeling I've done the wrong thing by picking it up and taking it away.

8. T6 Dave's Dad

T6 Dave's Dad Senior Member T6 Legend

Map
    @jonny take it straight back ;). The guy that heard it should have turned you round and stopped you taking it away :devil:.

Jonny likes this.
  9. HootingOwl

HootingOwl Senior Member T6 Pro

Ask to see the workshop notes, find out how long they spent looking at it. The standard VW policy seems to be to deny any faults and then hope you get hacked off bringing the van in again and again.
    You should have thrown the keys back at them and told them to do their effing job properly.
    Take it back and ask for their demonstrator as a loaner.

T6 Dave and Jonny like this.
  10. T6 Dave

T6 Dave Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Ask the if a new van that screeches when pulling away is a good advert and if so you will put it in the Windows saying you too can buy a van that does this, by going to... The dealers name :thumbsup: another point is.. At least nobody will want/be able to nick it!

Jonny likes this.
  11. Jonny

Map
    That is tempting!! I'm not the most confrontational person and I think I'm being taken for a ride. But what's worse, as I just started writing this message someone has just driven past the back of my van...I can't catch a break!!!!

IMG_2139.JPG

12. T6 Dave

Argh crap m8, sorry about that.. Have a shuffty at it, is it able to polish out with G3 (halfords) as don't think that the bumper is black underneath the White? Might be their paint?

Jonny likes this.
  13. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member VCDS User Admin Moderator

Map
    Last edited: 22 Apr 2017
    T6 Dave's Dad likes this.
  14. T6 Dave

@Pauly, cheers for that, was an unintended diversion due to damage suffered by @Jonny , so was a natural progression..

Jonny and T6 Dave's Dad like this.
  15. Dave Coughlan

Dave Coughlan Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Small stone caught on a brake disk guard, moving so it disappears but reappears...

16. Jeremy Buckley

Jeremy Buckley New Member

Map
    I had the same problem. Two month old sportline sounds like a steam train pulling out of kings cross with a full load and drive wheels skidding on the rails. A real metal on metal sound. I have a friend at a local VW conversion company he said it will be a small stone stuck between the rear brake guard. They usually clear themselves. But I've never had this on any other vehicles before. My sweak sorted itself out, presumably stone fell out. But I was stuck with it for a few weeks.

17. Zak

Zak New Member

Map
    @Jonny Hi, I am having the same issue, did you manage to find out what the squeak was?

18. Jonny

Map
    Never figured it out. Nor did VW. Nor did it ever cause any issues...that I’m aware of.

19. Zak

Zak New Member

Map
    Did the noise disappear after time?

20. Nomad

Nomad Member VIP Member

My Kombi makes a faint squeaking noise when I reverse but nothing going forwards, anyone else notice this?

I meant to mention it when it went in for a service on Tuesday and completely forgot! :rolleyes: