Judder and EGR flush

Newcs

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, I’m looking for some advice and opinions please.

A bit of background info. I have a 67 plate 102 with 69K on the clock. I have been plagued with issues since picking the van up 6 months ago (VW van centre) and it is now out of warranty. I have so far had:

Crankshaft oil seal repair
Water pump replaced
Tailgate handle replaced
Sliding door locking module replaced
Internal fan blower replaced
Windscreen (broken on delivery)

When it was in with my local VW van centre having the diagnosis for the blower and door module they advised a fault code was stored (I had no engine light on) indicating that the EGR needed a flush so when it was in for the repairs a flush was carried out.

On picking the van back up I pulled away and experienced a judder from the engine. Never had anything like prior. When pulling away in first or reverse there is a strong judder which can be prevented if pressing the throttle hard when pulling away. There are no issues in any other gear or when driving normally. However, sometimes it doesn’t actually happen.

I’ve returned back to the garage who have looked at it and stated the flywheel is most likely to be the issue. Now if I had just developed the fault and not been in the garage I would tend to agree but it just doesn’t sit right bearing in mind there was no sign at all in the morning and be so bad on the night.

What are peoples thoughts? Could it be something to do with the flush? Is it just total coincidence as the garage are saying?

The lads in the garage have been spot on but I’m just not convinced by the coincidence theory. Maybe I’m wrong and just unlucky

Looks. To be a common issue with transporters,
Some people have had their clutch and flywheel replaced .
Mine has similar issue and is still
Under warranty thankfully.

Looks. To be a common issue with transporters,
Some people have had their clutch and flywheel replaced .
Mine has similar issue and is still
Under warranty thankfully.
Yeah it seems pretty common. My main issue is that it wasn’t there before the flush and is there immediately afterwards. Too much of a coincidence for me but no idea if and how it can be related.

So following on from this I now have an engine management light on. Popped into the dealers who once again tell me it’s nothing to do with anything they have done and it’s now an ad blue issue.

This has got me demented now!

Any ideas?

So following on from this I now have an engine management light on. Popped into the dealers who once again tell me it’s nothing to do with anything they have done and it’s now an ad blue issue.

This has got me demented now!

Any ideas?
Did they show you the fault codes? I wouldn’t trust a dealer to give me a straight answer, I’d want to see the evidence.

Did they show you the fault codes? I wouldn’t trust a dealer to give me a straight answer, I’d want to see the evidence.
No, I’ve emailed to ask for them but not had a reply yet.

Didn’t manage to get the fault code from the dealer but Carista showed 31103 as the fault code which looks like it could be something to do with the NOx sensor possibly? I still cannot see how they are saying this isn’t related to the engine flush.

Didn’t manage to get the fault code from the dealer but Carista showed 31103 as the fault code which looks like it could be something to do with the NOx sensor possibly? I still cannot see how they are saying this isn’t related to the engine flush.
Possibly whatever they flushed the EGR with was not drained / vacuumed from the EGR unit on completion and was then put through the engine into the exhaust. From what I’ve read the NOx sensor is easily damaged.

Possibly whatever they flushed the EGR with was not drained / vacuumed from the EGR unit on completion and was then put through the engine into the exhaust. From what I’ve read the NOx sensor is easily damaged.
That makes sense. I’ll mention that to them when I next speak to them. Hopefully they’ll acknowledge that it’s related to the flush.

Back