Auxiliary Belt Shredded! 8,000 miles???!!!

Acapulco VWV

T6 Pro
Driving home today suddenly lost power steering and battery light came on. Opened bonnet and the auxiliary belt has totally shredded!!! 8,000 miles 17 months old. VW assist said its the second case today, it happened to a California. AA rescue reported another transporter with the same issue. Has anyone heard of this???? Cheers

Crickey that is worrying. Not heard anything related. Are VW going to be sorting it out PDQ. I guess with it being bank holiday tomorrow and Monday it'll probably not get looked at till Tuesday. Hope they've fixed you up with a loaner.

I was worried, especially with children in the car...
It's with VW now. Hopefully sorting a replacement vehicle tomorrow. I'm hoping they will fix it quick.

No mate nothing yet but i only hear from members here really, last time i logged in i didnt see any new TPIs relating to this

Mine shredded at 16000miles 12 months old. With the belt off all the pully's etc seemed fine, i'm keeping a close eye on it now though. I think its the altenator that's causing the problem, when the vans really cold and I start it up the altenator squeaks (not the belt slipping) VW say there isn't a problem, I say there is, time will tell.

Mines done 22,000 now I'm worried it could go at any point.
24 hours before the power steering failure, I noticed a very slight burning smell on start up. But when I checked under the bonnet there appeared to be no issue. It's must have shredded very quickly. I would suggest that everyone checks theirs!

Acapulco I was only a few miles from my local garage when it snapped. family and dogs in the van at the time so I pulled in there and got them to fix it for me, the bill came to £30 +vat. I just swallowed the cost but I reported it to VW and they checked the van over but found nothing wrong. If it happens again it's already been logged as an issue. I thought I was alone on this one but there must be a reason its happening.

Could be improper alignment, defective belts, or the grooves being to sharp a profile?

Wondering If I should buy an auxiliary belt, and carry it with me???o_O
Is there a spring loaded auto tensioner on that belt???o_O
I wonder if there are some poor belts about???:confused:; or one of the pulleys aren't aligned correctly???:confused:

Got the van back. New auxiliary belt, new power steering pump. VW said that the belt had slipped, apparently just one of those things...
Sorted via warranty just glad to have it back, I missed it!!

Got the van back. New auxiliary belt, new power steering pump. VW said that the belt had slipped, apparently just one of those things...
Sorted via warranty just glad to have it back, I missed it!!
Any idea why you've had a new power steering pump fitted; was it the pump that caused the belt to come off. Maybe it ceased?????

They don't know, personally I don't think this was the case. The belt was too far shredded. I lost power steering straight away then the battery light came on.

Back