Spigot rings or not!

Hi T6 Fourm,

I need some advice please.

I’m looking to change the wheels on my 2021 T32 Kombi (currently running Matt black 18” Calibre Fives), and I’m struggling to find wheels that I like that don’t use Spigot Rings. I’m concerned that whilst the wheel maybe load rated to suit the T32 the spigot rings may not be and will be the weak link in the set up!

Am I getting hung up on this unnecessarily or should I be sticking to a wheel that has a centrebore of 65.1mm?

It would open up a lot more choice using spigot rings but I’ve had issues with steering wheel wobble on other cars in the past and don’t want to introduce the same issue on my van.

Thanks
Dave

My understanding on this is that the van load is taken by the clamp force between the wheel and hub, the spigot ring is just for centring before tightening so it shouldn’t take the van load.

Oh ok, I guess there will be significant friction between the hub face and the wheel face with 170NM bolt force. The only other issue then is the tolerance of a cheap plastic spigot ring and whether that would cause vibration . Thanks for the reply

I don't see an issue, obviously all things been equal I would always go for the direct fitment but as said above the spigot ring really just gets the wheel to centre on the hub. You can get metal ones too but these tend to almost sweat themselves to the wheel and can be hard to get off so I actually rather the plastic ones. Once the load rating of the wheel and tyres are right then no problem. I've had them on some wheels / cars over the years with no issues.

Deffo. I recently put swapped spacers across the back axle when changing the rear tyres but forgot to take the original spigot rings not realising the new spacers had a different bore to the old spacers. Both wheels were fitted by the tyre place without spigots and it's been that way for the last 6 months. No noise, vibration or 'owt. Perfectly fine. So plastic. metal or none. Makes no odds.

I think you would be less likely to notice an issue on the rear tbf, if you ran wheels with no spigots that needed them on the front you would almost certainly feel it through the steering wheel. I am going to choose the wheels I want now based on design and not worry about using plastic spigots. Thanks all

Back