Spec For Ply Floor With Cali Rails

Surfrdan

VIP Member
T6 Pro
When installing Cali single rails in a kombi with single left sliding door, what thickness floor matches the rail height? I was looking to cover the ply with a coin rubber pattern like the California has. E.g Black ROUND STUDDED Penny Van Garage Workshop Rubber Flooring Matting 1.5m x 3mm | eBay

And hopefully use a pre cut ply floor like
https://www.customshopdesigns.com/product-page/vw-t6-transporter-swb-12mm-floor-ply-lining-kit

Floor also available in 9mm if that’s better. Would any of the usual suspects for Cali rail fitting e,g Colin at Oxford do the ply and rubber cutting and fitting too or would I need to do that after the rail fitting myself?

There's plenty of informative forum threads covering this subject in great detail. I'd recommend you search and read up so you understand the area fully before you take the plunge.
I started with no knowledge and researched sufficiently to install my own. Others have used an installer... All the info is in this forum. Good luck :)

Colin has all the templating so could be cut by him.
Also, someone like RugsforBugs could template and cut for you.. but think with alittle effort it is acheiveable as a DIY.

When installing Cali single rails in a kombi with single left sliding door, what thickness floor matches the rail height? I was looking to cover the ply with a coin rubber pattern like the California has. E.g Black ROUND STUDDED Penny Van Garage Workshop Rubber Flooring Matting 1.5m x 3mm | eBay

And hopefully use a pre cut ply floor like
https://www.customshopdesigns.com/product-page/vw-t6-transporter-swb-12mm-floor-ply-lining-kit

Floor also available in 9mm if that’s better. Would any of the usual suspects for Cali rail fitting e,g Colin at Oxford do the ply and rubber cutting and fitting too or would I need to do that after the rail fitting myself?
As per the advice of Richard at Kernow Transporters, I fitted a Kombi rubber floor with 12mm ply on top (and then finished it with 2mm vinyl). Templating the floor takes some time - when you look at the width of the rails, you will see how wide you can cut the floor.

As per the advice of Richard at Kernow Transporters, I fitted a Kombi rubber floor with 12mm ply on top (and then finished it with 2mm vinyl). Templating the floor takes some time - when you look at the width of the rails, you will see how wide you can cut the floor.

So you left the OEM rubber floor in place and laid ply on top? What’s the reasoning in that?

So you left the OEM rubber floor in place and laid ply on top? What’s the reasoning in that?
Sound deadening, insulation and it fits the shape of the ribs perfectly. The 12mm ply has so little flex that you’d be forgiven for thinking the rubber floor wasn’t there.

Sound deadening, insulation and it fits the shape of the ribs perfectly. The 12mm ply has so little flex that you’d be forgiven for thinking the rubber floor wasn’t there.

Good to know. Thanks. Saves faffing about with cutting battons. How was the ply attached to the rubber floor?

Good to know. Thanks. Saves faffing about with cutting battons. How was the ply attached to the rubber floor?
Gravity ;) and it’s bleeding heavy.

The rubber floor also gives you a perfect template to draw on to your ply.

I think I paid around £100 for the ply and a little more for the rubber floor (from a T5).

Gravity ;) and it’s bleeding heavy.

The rubber floor also gives you a perfect template to draw on to your ply.

I think I paid around £100 for the ply and a little more for the rubber floor (from a T5).
Ah so you used a t5 caravelle startline rubber floor in a T6 combi? If not, how did you cut the holes for the rails?

Ah so you used a t5 caravelle startline rubber floor in a T6 combi? If not, how did you cut the holes for the rails?
No cut-outs. I fitted the rails, laid the rubber floor over the rails and worked from there - using measurements from the nearside van ‘wall’ to the centre of the left rail; then I used the left rail cutout as a template for the right rail. If that makes sense? You can cut out slightly more or slightly less and get away with it - it’s the ply that needs to be more on point with the holes for the rails.

No cut-outs. I fitted the rails, laid the rubber floor over the rails and worked from there - using measurements from the nearside van ‘wall’ to the centre of the left rail; then I used the left rail cutout as a template for the right rail. If that makes sense? You can cut out slightly more or slightly less and get away with it - it’s the ply that needs to be more on point with the holes for the rails.

I'm with you now, thanks.

Back