Speaker in sliding door

Slunkie

VIP Member
Has anyone attempted putting a speaker in the sliding door (T6)? There is a 6 pin contact strip which may enable a speaker to work when the door is shut but looking at the wiring diagrams all the pins are already in use even on a standard, non-motorised door. Is that correct?

Perhaps an aftermarket 2-pin contact strip could be fitted...

Seems like a fair bit of bother but there doesn't seem to be any other sensible locations for rear speakers in a Kombi without some ugly pods hanging off the walls somewhere.

I've not seen that done before.

As you say the OEM contact is already used.

And motorized door has the gear in the c pillar.

So you would have to fit a new contact.

It could be worth reaching out to our audio guru & trade member @Absolut5 for advice.

Power was discussed in this thread but nothing further was posted

If you have sliding windows make sure the speaker is either waterproof or shielded.
IMO I can’t see why it would be worth the effort, when the door is open the speaker will be aiming at the body.

Yeh you're probably right and there's probably a reason why nobody else has done it. Thanks for the advise so far all.

Last edited:
I've not seen that done before.

As you say the OEM contact is already used.

And motorized door has the gear in the c pillar.

So you would have to fit a new contact.

It could be worth reaching out to our audio guru & trade member @Absolut5 for advice.
Answered pm

IIRC the T6 uses a 6 pin pillar connector but the 6.1 uses an 8 pin
Maybe you could swap and have 2 spare pins ??

If you have sliding windows make sure the speaker is either waterproof or shielded.
IMO I can’t see why it would be worth the effort, when the door is open the speaker will be aiming at the body.
I hope to do this as I have the splitter bulkhead and the twin doors would make a good mounting point, can't see why you would need the doors open I listen with them shut as use my van a car really. lol......The bulk makes the cab nice and quiet and thing the system with the rears would be good,

I'm going with the option above following some helpful advice from Jason @ Absolut5.

One thing he mentioned that really put me off the sliding door idea was that with the low voltage signal to the speaker, a door contact solution may be prone to a poor/intermittent connection which I guess would be worse when it's cold/wet.

Back