Power in sliding doors

DRCAM

Hi, has anyone ever fitted a USB charger point in a sliding door ? Not sure if I can pick up a constant 12V live from the door contact? any advice on wiring would be great

Thanks

So much easier not to, if it’s got a sliding window it will eventually leak and get wet.

Hi, has anyone ever fitted a USB charger point in a sliding door ? Not sure if I can pick up a constant 12V live from the door contact? any advice on wiring would be great

Thanks
There is no +12v in the door contacts

Hi all, there seems to be 6 fairly chunky copper contacts that engage with the sliding door when it closes. I'm guessing these are for power latching or maybe self closing doors - has anybody used these to get power into the doors? I'd like to put some lights and a few other goodies in there, just wondering if anyone has any tips/warnings about this.

Power latching and self closing is all done from the body side of the van. The door contacts are for central locking signals

Thanks @Deaky, that saved me a lot of faffing about :) That's a lot of copper for not much functionality. I'd reckon you'd need a signal wire to tell the car if the door is locked or unlocked, 2 wires for the solenoid to lock/unlock, and a ground. I wonder what the other 2 are for? I'll throw the doors in the too hard basket for now (leaving on a holiday in a week), but I'll come back to it later.

Thanks @Deaky, that saved me a lot of faffing about :) That's a lot of copper for not much functionality. I'd reckon you'd need a signal wire to tell the car if the door is locked or unlocked, 2 wires for the solenoid to lock/unlock, and a ground. I wonder what the other 2 are for? I'll throw the doors in the too hard basket for now (leaving on a holiday in a week), but I'll come back to it later.
D8FE552A-BCE0-4165-91B0-5445186484CE.png

@Deaky, champion! Of course it's a separate control module :/ Still, that's going to need some respectable power to operate solenoids, so I should be able to sneak in a little battery to draw a small charge from the circuit, run a microprocessor, and power some side lights. Ideally i'd like a camera but too but I'll start simple.

As much for me when I return to this as anybody else who finds this and decides to try it, power coming through the contact strip would be from the starter battery and won't turn off with the ignition since it's needed for operating the locks. Need to make sure not to drain the starter battery when doing this.

Back