Spare Parts To Carry And Aftermarket Parts

TassieT6

G'Day T6 People,

As the warranty period draws to a close on my T6 Multivan 4Motion, it is time to think about parts that are required to keep the beast running.

Here in Australia I can be thousands of miles from the nearest VW parts supplier and their parts database, so it is important to carry some consumable spares such as filters, belts and even brake pads, as well as some knowing some alternate source of the parts I don’t carry.

Even if I don’t have the expertise and tools there are mechanics that can fit them and a VCDS is high on the list of items to have.

For our UK members an equivalent is to think about what parts you would take or require on an extended trip abroad to Siberia or North Africa.

I’m interested mainly in non-genuine part numbers members have found that fit our vehicles or those that are found to be compatible with other vehicles (e.g. Amarok, golf), that need to be replaced on regular basis or are items prone to failure.

If there are any replacement parts you have fitted please leave a reply.

Please include:

1. The year and original model of your van as well as any relevant features, such as big brakes, 4Motion, that differentiate it within the range.

2. What was the part

3. The aftermarket part manufacturer and part number.

4. What other vehicles does it also fit?

5. Was it any good?

Thanks to all who provide useful input.

Good morning welcome to the forum.
I have taken loads of spares when I travel to North Africa (Tunisia Libya Morocco etc.) and have used a few things on the list below. Not on the transporter but on various other vehicles.

Auxiliary belt
Fuel filter - Needed after picking up some bad fuel at the field station
Fuses
Selection of relays
Alternator - Had to change an alternator once
Shock absorbers
Full cooling pipe set - (Once had a cracked cylinder head on a vehicle, this led to Fuel leaking into the coolant this dissolved the rubber hoses. After I sussed out what was happening I replaced the hoses and I ran with washing up liquid in the coolant and the new houses lasted till I got back)
Air filter - Always replaced after weeks in the desert so that I have a clean run home
Pollen filter - As air filter
Front hub - Replace one once (purchase a hub removal kit)
Various bushes
Coil springs. (these can be mounted/stored underneath)

Print out fuse cards and circuit diagrams and save them on a USB stick leave in the van.
Most other jobs require special tools...
If I remember anything else, I'll edit this post.

I have taken loads of spares when I travel to North Africa (Tunisia Libya Morocco etc.) and have used a few things on the list below. Not on the transporter but on various other vehicles.

Auxiliary belt
Fuses
Selection of relays
Shock absorbers
Full cooling pipe set - (Once had a cracked cylinder head on a vehicle, this led to Fuel leaking into the coolant this dissolved the rubber hoses. After I sussed out what was happening I replaced the hoses and I ran with washing up liquid in the coolant and the new houses lasted till I got back)
Air filter - Always replaced after weeks in the desert so that I have a clean run home
Various bushes

Print out fuse cards and circuit diagrams and save them on a USB stick leave in the van.

That's quite a comprehensive list for most scenarios.
It must take up quite a bit of space, baring in mind the kit also needed to change these parts.

The raised floor with the pull-out storage drawers is the most efficient for a van/Troopie.

Auxiliary belt
Fuses
Selection of relays
Shock absorbers
Various bushes

A few good things there. Although the larger suspension parts would be too heavy. This is the type of item I would need to know how to get one in a reasonable amount of time rather than carry.

Normally I try to do a bit of a risk analysis in regard to likely to need replacement and whether it would stop progress combined with weight and space. If its small, light, often needs replacement and would cause me problems if I didn't replace, it would definitely be on the take it with me list.

Back