Spacers and Devonports - 25mm or 30mm?

T6Paul

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've searched the forum and read the many threads about spacers but I haven't found anyone running my proposed set-up!
I want to push the Devonports out, but still maintain a very slightly tucked look, I also want to maintain handling especially the steering. My van is dropped around 60mm on B14's. My proposal is to use 15mm on the front and either 30mm (or 25mm) on the rear. Thoughts, and ideally pictures of this set-up would be great.
Thanks Paul

have a look through the DP thread, pleanty of photo's and spacer talk on there.

Not your exact combination but these are standard 17” wheels with B14’s lowered 60mm and 30mm spacers on the rear and 20mm at the front.CC77DA82-91E0-4A6C-B8DF-33B28F7C1F36.jpegE57C34D5-EC0C-4837-BC61-4828084714BE.jpeg

... I don't have spacers on my Cali .. maybe I would mount them but I don't understand why someone mounts different thicknesses in front and behind ... I have always known that the spacers must all have the same thickness otherwise the behavior of the vehicle changes .. .. or not?!

... I don't have spacers on my Cali .. maybe I would mount them but I don't understand why someone mounts different thicknesses in front and behind ... I have always known that the spacers must all have the same thickness otherwise the behavior of the vehicle changes .. .. or not?!

The theory side is that if you add spacers, effectively your reducing the spring rate. So in a scenario where you add width to the rear and not the front, the front has to control more of the weight transfer. So it loses grip. The rear would gain grip. Promoting understeer.

Another way to consider it. Imagine your wishbone was a wheel barrow. Where the axle in the barrow is the bolt that's holds your wishbone to the chassis. The bucket on the barrow is where your spring presses down. The handles of your barrow is where the van wheel would act upon. The longer you make the barrow handles, the easier it is to lift the load. Likewise, the longer the distance from chassis bolt to wheel (by adding spacers), the easier it is for the spring to be compressed by the weight of the van.

Newton's third law. 'For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So your wishbone is pressing up on the spring with the same force as the weight of the van is pressing down. Hit a bump in the road therefore, the longer the lever, the easier it is to compress the spring. Assuming the shock absorber is the same.

However, the difference most folk run between front and rear spacers, seems to be 5mm. So probably depends on how calibrated your arse cheeks are, as to whether you'd notice a difference. Unless of course, your running a track van.

Last edited:
Just fitted 25mm rear h&r bolt on spacers to the rear and if I can find the time will fit the 15mm to the front this week.
Dropped approx 55mm on b14's.

Before and after pics

IMG_20200104_104206.jpg

Thank you to all who have posted pictures and given advice. After much deliberation and measuring I’ve settled on 25mm rear and 15mm front which will hopefully achieve an OEM+ look. I’ll post up some pictures in a week or so when they arrive!

Thank you to all who have posted pictures and given advice. After much deliberation and measuring I’ve settled on 25mm rear and 15mm front which will hopefully achieve an OEM+ look. I’ll post up some pictures in a week or so when they arrive!
Did you put your spacers on Paul?

I was thinking of going 10 front and 15 rear but with the Mrs on Furlough I can't get them delivered without her seeing them ...

What is the current recommendations (prefer black ones)

I was thinking of going 10 front and 15 rear but with the Mrs on Furlough I can't get them delivered without her seeing them ...

I tried that combination on the same steels as yours, none-banded and they didn't really look a huge amount different. So ended up going 15mm front and 20mm rear which pulled the wheels out really nicely. I know why you want Black, but from memory, you couldn't see the spacers inside the GPs anyway.

The guy I sold mine to isn't using them anymore if you get stuck finding any and want me to get a price off him. I'm sure he paid around £100 off me, and they came with all the correct bolts. (All metal colour though, not Black)

The current recommendation is to get them delivered to the garage where the mechanic knows mum is the word :whistle:

Point 1, could you get them delivered to a neighbour? ;)

Point 2, I guess they could be painted black fairly easily but they aren't that visible since the hub mounting / brake discs aren't black anyay...

Back