Sounds Like A Golf But Drivers Door Bounces Open...

TheSpiv

So I've gone and fitted the door seal trim, and yes it now sounds less clunky, but I have an issue with the drivers door bouncing back open after pulling to close. Is there a limit to where the trim should finish thats making it do this?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers.

Exactly the same with mine.
I too would love to get it sorted as having to close the door multiple times is annoying. If it wasn’t such an improvement in closing noise the rubber would have have been taken off ages ago

apparently there are different thickness of rubber being sold.
mine is on the heavy side
i wonder if there is a comparison/recommendation which to get

I've had this loads of times . . . . its just down to the specific door fitment . . . . and door seal.

so at first a 2 piece kit was fitted . . . and the drivers door bounced open all the time. (but passenger side was ok)

i tried adjusting the door catch plate so the drivers door didn't bounce . . . but then the door was too proud from the side of the van. (so adjusted back)

bought a different set online that looked smaller/thinner . . . fitted it to the drivers side . . . .no bounce great sorted =)

Then had the van in for bodywork repair, which ended up with new door . . . so another new seal kit ordered . . . . same problem again - door bouncing open.

back online to look for a different kit t try . . . . which was then fitted and all ok.

so if the seal is too thick you will have this issue . . . . . . go online and try another supplier.

I've had 4 different kits now and they have all been different.

Bought mine off Custom Vee Dubs, presumed they'd know the score. I aint buying anymore, I'll just have a poke about with it and see if it sorts itself out.

Mine was bad for bouncing open at first but settled fairly quickly. Still needs a firm close though.

Mine never bounced open but showed as open door on the MFD - a firm second attempt usually sorted it. Had mine on about 3-4 months now and appears to have settled down as I’ve not noticed it do this recently

Thanks to a spammer (now removed) I've found the answer to my problem... the drivers door seal is fitted wrongly. The video on YouTube is incorrect and shows the seal finishes horizontally at the bottom. Will try refitting like the diagram above.

Edit: however, my factory fitted passenger door seal doesn't match that picture above and does finish horizontally! (And doesn't bounce)

Edit edit: what a can of worms...

Last edited:
Related/similar threads:

I think there's too many variables to say one way works. Depends on seal size/cross section and individual door clearances on which position works I think.
I ended up moving mine (THQ supplied) about 3 or 4 times, door now closes easily but dont think it sounds as good as the passenger door.
I'll take a pic of the position if I remember tomorrow.

Back