Sound Proofing T6 Cab

kevnsue

T6 Pro
I`m going to sound proof the cab area with sound coat at the weekend, any tips on what I should and should`nt do? It`s my first job on the van so I dont to go and bu##er it up.

Hi Kev, i just sound deadened the Cab roof at the weekend. It's all pretty straightforward. Though the only thing that i had a wee problem with was the clips that cover the screws on the Sun visors. If you have trim removal tools then it shouldn't cause you to much grief. There is a video on Youtube showing you how this is done. Good luck with the rest of it!!

Silent coat on the floor, arches and doors with the factory rubber cab floor and some sound absorbing stuff added to the doors made the biggest difference in my T5. I never could dull the engine noise in the cab though.

As already said trim removal tools make it a lot easier.

Also, I'd have some spare trim clips too.

Thanks for the tips, going to look on youtube in a moment. Lukavell, what was the absorbing stuff you used on the doors, I was just going to use silent coat, have I missed a trick.
Thanks

Thanks for the tips, going to look on youtube in a moment. Lukavell, what was the absorbing stuff you used on the doors, I was just going to use silent coat, have I missed a trick.
Thanks
I'll have to dig out the box as I'm in the middle of moving house, it might be a day or two until I come across it to find out exactly what it was called. It was a dense foam type stuff, a bit like rolls mats. Silent coat is great on thin panels, it adds weight and stops the reverberations and booming they make. I covered every surface I could expose with it!

I’ve used silent coat on every flat surface I could find. I then stuck any off cuts and bits to the back of all the sidewall support structures. I went round the the van tapping with my finger on everything I could, listening for a dull thud rather than the normal bright ting sound. Just had first drive out on the concrete A180 and it’s like being in a car not a tin can

That's the stuff! And, your door cards look very similar to what mine did when I'd finished. I tried removing the inner part and found it beyond my skill set so put it all back together. I never thought about taking the speaker out to get in though. Doh!

I’ve used silent coat on every flat surface I could find. I then stuck any off cuts and bits to the back of all the sidewall support structures. I went round the the van tapping with my finger on everything I could, listening for a dull thud rather than the normal bright ting sound. Just had first drive out on the concrete A180 and it’s like being in a car not a tin can

The old tapping technique is very good for identifying panels which will benefit from Silent coat. There's a few on my Caravelle which sound far to tinny for the price of the bloody thing and I've got a load of silent coat left over.... oh dear you've got me thinking now!

Ironically I used to have check components for correct bonding by listening for the ting. That’s ok. Thud fail.

I need to start making the drivers cab quieter on my trendline by fitting deadening of some type, I want to quieten engine bay also. Has anybody done this? did it make a noticeable difference and if so whats the best products to use? Any help ,advice greatly appreciated!

Haven't done on the T6 yet, but did it on my Defender - I used Dynamat which made a noticable difference. I've heard good things about SilentCoat as well - doubtless someone else will have had experience of both (or others) and can give the pros and cons.

Have a search on here, loads of info, silent coat is spot on :thumbsdown:

thanks for replies,

Did you find any info? I can't. Lots of info about soundproofing the cargo area, but not the cab (that I can find).

I know Dynamat is supposed to be very good, but I wouldn't be sure how/where to place it in the cab. I also wonder if most of the noise in the cab is wind noise and rumble coming up through the wheels, which I don't think Dynamat is going to reduce.

..I also wonder if most of the noise in the cab is wind noise and rumble coming up through the wheels, which I don't think Dynamat is going to reduce.

I changed my wheels recently (OEM 16” Clayton’s to OEM 18” Sportlines) and the noise has massively reduced now I’m running Pirelli instead of Goodyear.

Did you find any info? I can't. Lots of info about soundproofing the cargo area, but not the cab (that I can find).

I know Dynamat is supposed to be very good, but I wouldn't be sure how/where to place it in the cab. I also wonder if most of the noise in the cab is wind noise and rumble coming up through the wheels, which I don't think Dynamat is going to reduce.

The thing with soundproofing is that you don't need to cover every square inch, you'll end up hitting the laws of diminishing returns.

So you can SilentCoat/Dynamat/DodoMat under the bonnet, floorpan, wheelarches, doorskins and get a good result in the cab area without going into every nook and cranny.

have a look at noise killer in Royton Oldham they did my cab deffo quieter had a engine blanket as well thought it made no difference to noise reduction kit can be bought to diy fit I think hope this helps you

The rubber door trims made a very immediate difference, as did a large piece of insulation stuffed into the void above the cab. Both very easy to do.

thanks for everyones help, door seals have defo made a difference, already got flooring and carpeting in the cab. Think I,ll go down the door deadening route and see how it goes from there!

I did the doors, roof and floor on my T5 and the difference was night and day. Could just hear the engine then. I think the only thing that was left to do was get behind the dash board but I didn't fancy that!

Back