Snow/mud grip mats

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
There is a plethora of choice On Fleabay when it comes to buying these things, mainly for getting off of a half muddy pitch after overnight rain.

1) Has anyone got any recommendations please?
2) Apart from 4WD, what do you use?

This is an example of the type of thing that I’m after, not too large but I’m worried that cheap as chips means that it’ll just crack up on first use.
231C6DF7-06DF-42F3-A84B-3C4A1CE33F87.png

I have some which look very similar, I’ll have a look if it’s the same brand later when I get up. I’ve used mine 3 or 4 times and they’ve done the trick each time. If the mud is too deep they will just get buried but they’re better than nothing. I keep them bungeed to the inside of the tailgate in the drawstring bag they came in, just as reassurance.

Last edited:
Exactly what i've bought. Not had to use them yet. Suspect if they were to get buried then 4x4 would be useless too.
I got stuck in my neighbours muddy field once with my Touareg 4x4 and the caravan on the back.

I’m a lazy b*stard :p Just went through my search history instead of getting out of bed. They are indeed the same ones I have, purchased 6 years ago! They’re fine and haven’t cracked :thumbsup:
FCC9B6F1-AC4D-40D5-9CC5-16377CEC0FB4.png

If you carry a 12V tyre inflator that runs off the cigarette lighter socket or direct off the battery you have the option of letting your tyres down to, say, 20 PSI to allow you to get off that muddy field then inflate your tyres back to your normal pressure when on a firm surface.
This is an effective way to get more grip on mud and snow (but won't work so well on very low profile tyres).
Giving the tyre a bigger contact patch reduces the depth of the ruts you'll leave behind too!

I let air out of tyres to lower the ground pressure and increase surface contact. Depending on how slippery and how steep if there is a gradient. I may air down to anything from 20psi all the way down to 8psi. I do not recommend 8 as a norm because one has to be aware that the tyre may be forced from the rim. Care need to be taken at lower pressures, rounding bends slide slopes ect may put a high sheering load on the tyre rim interface. 15psi might good enough for most situations. As said in a previous post airing up again soon is best to reduce heat build up and tyre carcase damage.

It may be worth while looking up what is popular in the 4x4 or Landrover off-road world and outlets. They use a variety of devices some of them gritted fibreglass or plastic. Many types will can be used for bridging also are incredibly strong. Often or not there may also be equipment that goes along with these things for mounting on to various surfaces and roof racks. Waffle Boards are one type but there are others. Some more popular now possibly. They can also be used for levelling. I do not think that many off road crowd now use pierced planking because they are too heavy, awkward and cumbersome.

Have been using these. Park on them when camping on soft grass. Very useful for getting off wet grass and they don’t take up a lot of space. Started with two now got four which we find more useful.

Have been using these. Park on them when camping on soft grass. Very useful for getting off wet grass and they don’t take up a lot of space. Started with two now got four which we find more useful.
We have the same, 2 sets, but not used yet.

Bags and Covers Direct do a custom bag for them, it fits 2 sets.

Back