Snapped bolt of pop-top scissor hinge

descall

The central bolt of a scissor hinge on my pop-top snapped whilst lower the roof yesterday. I've put a temporary bolt back in its place, but it was really difficult to replace since getting the holes aligned required a lot of effort with the roof elevated (lots of pushing and pulling). As you can see from the third image, when the roof is erected the temorary replacement bolt is under a lot of lateral pressure. It seems things are not aligned properly. The original installation in 2018 was undertaken by a professional campervan conversion outfit, now no longer trading. I'm concerned the problem will arise again. Does anyone have advice with regards to what remedial works may need undertaking, beyond simply replacing the bolt? I have no experience with installing pop-tops. Thanks very much for any help.

20210802_145548.jpg

20210801_113453.jpg

20210802_145711.jpg

I can’t comment on the alignment, there are a lot of forces at play with an elevated roof.
Regarding the bolt; you shouldn’t need a high tensile grade 8 bolt.
Fit stainless steel but make sure it is A4 not A2, A2 is more susceptible to cracking.
There should probably be a nylon washer between the two arms, not sure if that’s what is shown in your photo.
Use a new Nyloc nut, it’s important that it’s not tightened too much as the arms need to pivot without jamming the nylon washer.
The bolt should not protrude through the nut by more than two threads, if too long hacksaw it to the correct length and file the end smooth.

Obviously check the other side as this could also be failing.
It’s best to carry out this work with the roof as low as possible but still allowing access. It maybe best to support it inside to take load off the struts.
If in doubt seek professional help.

I can’t comment on the alignment, there are a lot of forces at play with an elevated roof.
Regarding the bolt; you shouldn’t need a high tensile grade 8 bolt.
Fit stainless steel but make sure it is A4 not A2, A2 is more susceptible to cracking.
There should probably be a nylon washer between the two arms, not sure if that’s what is shown in your photo.
Use a new Nyloc nut, it’s important that it’s not tightened too much as the arms need to pivot without jamming the nylon washer.
The bolt should not protrude through the nut by more than two threads, if too long hacksaw it to the correct length and file the end smooth.

Obviously check the other side as this could also be failing.
It’s best to carry out this work with the roof as low as possible but still allowing access. It maybe best to support it inside to take load off the struts.
If in doubt seek professional help.
Great advice

This forum is always a valuable source of advice and information but @DXX has done us proud on this one.

Many thanks for the valuable advise :) I had no idea about A2 vs A4 steel. I'll make sure the replacement bolt is A4.

Although I do not have a broken central hinge bolt, I have the problem of realigning the holes as I had to remove the scissor arms for repainting. I suspect that the gas struts are contributing to the misalignment and someone suggested compressing them. I have not tried to simply to lower the roof as much as possible but retain enough space to get access. Was that the case when you offered up the new bolt?
I would be grateful for any comments.
Many thanks. JS

Lowering the roof will not unload the struts.
You’ll almost certainly need to disconnect the struts and have a means of compressing them (ratchet strap) to re-connect.

I've just had this same thing happen on one side of my pop top yesterday. I thought I heard a bang after a sharp turn but nothing obvious with suspension (as I thought it was), didn't notice anything with the roof until I got home after a short motorway journey where the roof was twisted and raised at the rear. There had been a little more noise in the cab but not much considering the state of it!

Thanks for the advice @DXX. I've another trip on Wednesday to Cornwall so I've had to order A2 steel to arrive in time for that trip, but with A4 bolts and nuts due to arrive later in the week which I can fit when I'm back. The nylon spacer on that hinge seems to be missing so I've also ordered some 5mm M5 spacer washers, hopefully this size will work for what I need - again all I could get to arrive in time. It looks and sounds like it could be a fiddly job to align the roof to fit these, I hope I can manage!

Dan

PXL_20230814_073739310.jpg

PXL_20230814_075159621.jpg

PXL_20230814_073722555.jpg

I ordered M4 bolts in my haste and they are too small. I've now ordered M6 bolts which have a 4mm hex head so I believe these should be correct.

I'm having less luck finding the nylon spacer washer which must have dropped out whilst I was driving. It's approx. 7mm long with an outer diameter of 15mm - this is going from the other side without removing it. I've emailed to roof supplier to see if I can get them to confirm the spec and possibly provide some spares.

I hope the wait isn't causing any further damage to the hinges.

I ordered M4 bolts in my haste and they are too small. I've now ordered M6 bolts which have a 4mm hex head so I believe these should be correct.

I'm having less luck finding the nylon spacer washer which must have dropped out whilst I was driving. It's approx. 7mm long with an outer diameter of 15mm - this is going from the other side without removing it. I've emailed to roof supplier to see if I can get them to confirm the spec and possibly provide some spares.

I hope the wait isn't causing any further damage to the hinges.
There are suppliers on ebay who will make custom plastic washers to your requirements, various materials available.

@descall Hi there buddy, If you are having trouble getting the correct size washers I can turn them up for you on my lathe. I have white and black PTFE in stock (I use it for my hobby in making bespoke fountain pens). Just send me the exact sizes that you require and a postal address and I will make and send them to you. Hope this helps you out..... best regards, Jeff ;)

@drooke Same for you, Dan. ;) I didn't look at the dates of the first post!

Last edited:
Thanks @DXX and @Jeff G - the roof supplier (Pop Tops UK) got back to me and are posting me some spares out, very good of them indeed. Fingers crossed I'll receive tomorrow along with the bolts and nuts and can try and fit at the weekend.

I’ve had a similar issue with my skylow pop top, rear right bolt sheared off the scissor hinge, nasty scratch down the van…sending it back to skyline next week..tad annoying after only 12 months since skyline had fit it…(look away if squeamish)

0dc95bd1-fe47-4d3d-ac43-ae364a0b64ca.jpeg

d42b54b5-81aa-4453-b0e8-4adb32563542.jpeg

0d9edd8c-4cc1-49c1-898d-b95fc0078e2a.jpeg

IMG_4004.jpeg

IMG_4010.jpeg

I've just had this same thing happen on one side of my pop top yesterday. I thought I heard a bang after a sharp turn but nothing obvious with suspension (as I thought it was), didn't notice anything with the roof until I got home after a short motorway journey where the roof was twisted and raised at the rear. There had been a little more noise in the cab but not much considering the state of it!

Thanks for the advice @DXX. I've another trip on Wednesday to Cornwall so I've had to order A2 steel to arrive in time for that trip, but with A4 bolts and nuts due to arrive later in the week which I can fit when I'm back. The nylon spacer on that hinge seems to be missing so I've also ordered some 5mm M5 spacer washers, hopefully this size will work for what I need - again all I could get to arrive in time. It looks and sounds like it could be a fiddly job to align the roof to fit these, I hope I can manage!

Dan

View attachment 209632

View attachment 209633

View attachment 209634
Hi Dan, how did you get on with this? I have the exact same problem and found out from the previous owner the roof is out of warranty. Is it something that can be done without too much drama?

Hi Dan, how did you get on with this? I have the exact same problem and found out from the previous owner the roof is out of warranty. Is it something that can be done without too much drama?
I received the washers this morning so I've been in with trying to fit the new bolt and washer. I'm not getting on very well at the moment! Trying to get the holes lined up is a nightmare, I've tried the roof at different heights, wedges and levers on the hinge and the best I can get is about 2cm away from each other.

I'm attempting this by myself, might be easier with two or three people. Just on a tea break then I'll try again.

I received the washers this morning so I've been in with trying to fit the new bolt and washer. I'm not getting on very well at the moment! Trying to get the holes lined up is a nightmare, I've tried the roof at different heights, wedges and levers on the hinge and the best I can get is about 2cm away from each other.

I'm attempting this by myself, might be easier with two or three people. Just on a tea break then I'll try again.
The roof struts create forces which are probably acting against what you are trying to do. With additional people try lowering the roof and propping it up internally so that the hinge is just accessible. Using a small ratchet strap put each strut in compression and remove one end.
Hopefully you will then be able to align the hinge with some muscle and grunt.

Back