Snapped bolt of pop-top scissor hinge

The roof struts create forces which are probably acting against what you are trying to do. With additional people try lowering the roof and propping it up internally so that the hinge is just accessible. Using a small ratchet strap put each strut in compression and remove one end.
Hopefully you will then be able to align the hinge with some muscle and grunt.
I ended up using more force yesterday on levering the hinge but I could only get the holes to within 1cm of each other. It felt achievable but fruitless in the end. I found the easiest roof position for this to be fully open, I struggled with it when the roof was low.

Thanks for the extra advice. I was hoping to avoid removing the gas struts and will have to figure out how to do that. So you think keep the roof low, elevated evenly at both ends and open enough to get to the hinge is the way to go? Wondering how you lift from the inside with it so low.

Will have to try again another day.

@drooke just a suggestion not that I've ever done what your trying to do but can you not unbolt one of the other arms of the hinge to allow the bolting of the cross arms easier then try and bolt together the other bit maybe try to pull back a part to line up is easier than trying to get the cross part to line up
hope this makes sense

I ended up using more force yesterday on levering the hinge but I could only get the holes to within 1cm of each other. It felt achievable but fruitless in the end. I found the easiest roof position for this to be fully open, I struggled with it when the roof was low.

Thanks for the extra advice. I was hoping to avoid removing the gas struts and will have to figure out how to do that. So you think keep the roof low, elevated evenly at both ends and open enough to get to the hinge is the way to go? Wondering how you lift from the inside with it so low.

Will have to try again another day.
On some roofs the gas struts almost unload when fully raised so I’m told!
Somebody lying on their backs on the bed board using their raised legs can support the roof while the struts are disconnected, I did this with a sacrificial daughter but a strong and flexible adult with a sense of humour maybe best.
Gas struts can be compressed using a thin ratchet strap in a constant loop placed around the full length of the strut.
If you managed to get the holes within 1cm of alignment you could try inserting a piece of studding / round bar to use as a lever, get it aligned and then clamp the links to remove the studding and fit the bolt. Regarding the nylon washer this would have to be installed along with the studding.

I had some help tonight this time with a special tool, a rolling head prybar. This tool replaced the screwdriver I was using to lever the front part of the hinge and because of the hook it didn't slip as I levered the hinge higher. It was just the right size to fit through the gap between the two pieces of the front part of the hinge as well, perfect.

Same method as before, I just levered the hinge up with my assistant holding up the rear corner of the roof from the outside and popping the bolt through.

All the alignment of the roof seems back to normal and after several attempts at popping the roof up and down it seems good.

The specific tool used is a Snap On tool, I believe, with part number 5F4764.

Many thanks for the help and advice as always, glad to have my van back on the road

PXL_20230829_165203083.jpg

PXL_20230829_165218528.jpg

PXL_20230829_165226912.jpg

I had some help tonight this time with a special tool, a rolling head prybar. This tool replaced the screwdriver I was using to lever the front part of the hinge and because of the hook it didn't slip as I levered the hinge higher. It was just the right size to fit through the gap between the two pieces of the front part of the hinge as well, perfect.

Same method as before, I just levered the hinge up with my assistant holding up the rear corner of the roof from the outside and popping the bolt through.

All the alignment of the roof seems back to normal and after several attempts at popping the roof up and down it seems good.

The specific tool used is a Snap On tool, I believe, with part number 5F4764.

Many thanks for the help and advice as always, glad to have my van back on the road

View attachment 211519

View attachment 211520

View attachment 211521
Hero! Fair play for sorting it. I'll see if I can borrow one off of someone as they're not super cheap. Or check marketplace. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Hero! Fair play for sorting it. I'll see if I can borrow one off of someone as they're not super cheap. Or check marketplace. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Good luck with getting your's sorted out, let us know how you get on.

I forgot to say I still need to reattach the wind deflector strip that the pop top pushed off whilst out of position. I'll remove the old adhesive strip, clean it up and use some 3M VHB tape and a bit of heat to reattach it.

Good luck with getting your's sorted out, let us know how you get on.

I forgot to say I still need to reattach the wind deflector strip that the pop top pushed off whilst out of position. I'll remove the old adhesive strip, clean it up and use some 3M VHB tape and a bit of heat to reattach it.
I had the same thing with the deflector and unfortunately lost my awning rail front section too. The tape i was recommended from a conversion company was mammoth tape. Just a question on holding the rear up from the outside....was this with the pop top up? You didnt have to remove the gas struts either at all?

I had the same thing with the deflector and unfortunately lost my awning rail front section too. The tape i was recommended from a conversion company was mammoth tape. Just a question on holding the rear up from the outside....was this with the pop top up? You didnt have to remove the gas struts either at all?
Didn't have to remove the gas struts no, I wasn't keen on doing that if possible as I thought it could be a can of worms trying to refit them.

I had the roof fully elevated yes. My assistant lifted the rear of the roof from the outside, I levered up the hinge to align the bolt holes and my assistant put the bolt through and did up the nut.

I refitted the deflector this evening with the VHB tape and it's lovely and strong, that won't be coming off.

Didn't have to remove the gas struts no, I wasn't keen on doing that if possible as I thought it could be a can of worms trying to refit them.

I had the roof fully elevated yes. My assistant lifted the rear of the roof from the outside, I levered up the hinge to align the bolt holes and my assistant put the bolt through and did up the nut.

I refitted the deflector this evening with the VHB tape and it's lovely and strong, that won't be coming off.
Hi. Just to update you on mine. I went to Skyline as they are close to me and they did it in 10mins with just tools to tighen the bolts. It was done very similar to how you described only the assistant pushed the rear corner of the roof up and slightly across whilst it was elevated which moved the hinge very close. The other guy adjusted the middle bit of the hinge a little to line up and asked the assistant to tweak where he was holding the back roof up to align and that was it. Job done! Made it look very easy. I paid £35 as it was not a skyline roof and it took two people out first thing in the morning. Happy with the peace of mind tho. Will probably try it myself if theres a next time and take a video as would likely help other people in future as its more knowing how to manipulate the roof rather than the scissor itself. Before seeing them do it I was worried about damaging the roof if I moved it too much but it doesnt seem too bad. They were pros tho. Hope that helps anyone else out. (Used A4 screw too btw)

The search function works! Just had a snapped bolt and now know what I need to replace with :)

Reactions: CAB
Back