Smart Watch?

Artaroos

T6 Pro
Hi All,
I've always had a thing for watches - the same as many of you I'm sure.. but for me it's got to the point were the Wife said "why do you need another watch for!?".... Like I tell her how many pieces of jewelry she can own.

I'm thinking of a Smart Watch - I have a fitbit HR, which I don't wear anymore, as it is only really about fitness (yes the clue was in the name..).

I'm on the lookout for a general Smart Watch (with fitness capability possibly) - I can see that they can start from £20 on Amazon,, but I'm looking for something more - but not quite the £2000 on some of the higher end ones.

Any recommendations / your experience welcome.

Cheers

Art

I'm not sure what phone you use, but I love my Samsung watches. I've got the Gear S2 and S3 Frontier, plus a rare first edition Gear S. The S3 is a brilliant watch, but I use it more for work because we use my phone to stream Radio2 to our Bose speaker, whist the phone sits on a built in wireless charger in the van. So I'm still able to take calls and messages whist up my scaffold tower without having to jump down when it rings.

I'm not sure what phone you use, but I love my Samsung watches. I've got the Gear S2 and S3 Frontier, plus a rare first edition Gear S. The S3 is a brilliant watch, but I use it more for work because we use my phone to stream Radio2 to our Bose speaker, whist the phone sits on a built in wireless charger in the van. So I'm still able to take calls and messages whist up my scaffold tower without having to jump down when it rings.
Nice set up!:cool:

Sorry I should have said what phone - Android. I have an Iphone for work - but this is all about me.. :whistle:

Garmin Fenix is a great range, the sapphire face is nice. Look to spend £250-£500 and it’s a great watch.

Hi All,
I've always had a thing for watches - the same as many of you I'm sure.. but for me it's got to the point were the Wife said "why do you need another watch for!?".... Like I tell her how many pieces of jewelry she can own.

I'm thinking of a Smart Watch - I have a fitbit HR, which I don't wear anymore, as it is only really about fitness (yes the clue was in the name..).

I'm on the lookout for a general Smart Watch (with fitness capability possibly) - I can see that they can start from £20 on Amazon,, but I'm looking for something more - but not quite the £2000 on some of the higher end ones.

Any recommendations / your experience welcome.

Cheers

Art
Ahh yes I too collect watches like my wife collects shoes.
I went for a smart watch and now it lives in a draw unused, I like wearing all my watches and I wasn’t using them because the smart watch took over....
I am back to wearing my watches in rotation, just have a simple activity tracker on my other wrist.

I love my Garmin Fenix. Built like a brick s***house, very customisable, connects with phone happily, and just works well. I bought it to record all my MTB rides but use it quite a lot as my day watch to preserve my decent watch.

Not sure if the sapphire option is worth it as you can get a screen saver to prevent the ordinary one getting scratched

I have the garmin viviactive 3, handy for cycling etc when you forget to charge your garmin edge

Loz Jr has an Fitbit Ionic, Mrs Loz bought an Apple Watch and took it back for a refund 3 days later due to the fact that she is so active with her work the screen was constantly waking up and it was flat by lunchtime... I have not worn a watch for about 5 years now and I'm not interested in getting fit :)

Although if your looking for more of the analog look and feel that often causes us to reach for the N+1 argument to explain our latest watch! Why not take a look at the Nokia Steel ‑ Activity and Sleep Tracker Watch...? Back when they were Withings I enjoyed mine and loved the 8 mounts of battery life.

I've got a Garmin 235 but those Fenix 5's do look nice! Plus I've got my Tag Carrera for best!

I forgot to mention another great thing about the Garmin Fenix is the battery life. If you switch the satellite tracking on to record a ride or something it will last about 18 hours which is massively more than most others out there. Without the satellite going, the battery can apparently do a couple of weeks without charge but I have never tested that

Fenix 5x here, love it and I haven't taken it off in 6 months even though I have a couple of boutique watches at home.

Im currently wearing an Apple Watch 2nd edition and its brilliant. I thought it was going to be a bit naff to be honest but its actually really handy. When you have entered an address on the phone nav you can leave the phone in your pocket and just use the watch screen, it vibrates before the next action. Handy if your in a city walking around the place, just look at the watch for directions rather than holding a phone. Loads of nice features and its waterproof. 3rd edition includes 4G connectivity. Recommended for anyone with an iphone.

Loz Jr has an Fitbit Ionic, Mrs Loz bought an Apple Watch and took it back for a refund 3 days later due to the fact that she is so active with her work the screen was constantly waking up and it was flat by lunchtime... I have not worn a watch for about 5 years now and I'm not interested in getting fit :)
You can simply turn off the raise to wake function. Sensitivity can also be adjusted. Just thought its worth folk knowing that. My bat easily lasts 48 hours although I charge it every night along with the phone.

Im not affiliated with Apple by the way ;)

Reactions: Loz
Apple Watch 1st edition and I’ve had it since they came out, brought it for work so I didn’t have to keep getting my iPhone out of my work trousers while I was grafting to see who was selling me ppi or some unimportant text message. It’s been brilliant and works flawlessly, just like having an iPhone on your wrist really, also got AirPods recently which intergrate with the watch as well. Went to work yesterday at 1pm and didn’t finish till 5am the next day and the battery was nearly done at 10% which in reality is half an hour and it switches off.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm old-fashioned but if I use a watch then it's to tell the time but I have not worn one in years (only have 1 a 50 anniversary mini version) I tend to look at the time on my iPhone which is only used for that purpose to phone people of or I use the camera on it. Can't see the point in Facebook or Twitter like I see people's face glued to. I prefer talking to people and I find it amusing to see people on the train or bus houses to a screen. Mind you they are also useful for music when you want to listen to some

Back