Small secure safe/ cash box info req'd please

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
I want to install something that can keep our passports and 'er indoors crown jewels safe. :p

Doesn't need to be huge, although, thinking about it, Ipad security might also be handy.

I've a T6, pretty usual conversion, but with two single swivels captain seats up front so not huge underneath storage like the double seat.

Any recommendations very welcome please.
;)

Yep, seat safe for me too. Had one under the passenger seat on my T5 with the amp sat on top. Space looks a little tighter on the T6 with more wiring to work around but I've got one coming tomorrow so I'll tell you if it fits then

Ok it didn't come when it was supposed to so I had to wait a week til I got a day off to go and collect it from the post office and fit it. It was a bit trickier than my last van so I took some pics as I was doing it for anyone else who may end up doing it.

With the seat out and base unbolted and tilted to one side, this is what the wiring looked like

File 11-07-2017, 17 58 59.jpeg

About twice as much as my T5 and enough to cause problems making space for the safe. As well as the standard VW stuff mine also has some extra, rather mickey mouse looking wiring intalled by Westfalia icluding this

File 11-07-2017, 18 03 15.jpeg

Google tells me this is a charger adapter. I hope to god it's just a control unit rather than actual charger for the leisure battery under the driver's seat as the wire coming out of it was on the thin side!

I had to unclip/unscrew all the relays and mounts that were attached to the seat base, remove all the cable ties and separate the bundles to route them up and out on the opposite side of the carpet cutout. I also had to cut part of the carpet away so that the wiring could come out in the right place to pass through the gap that they leave in the side of the safe base, without putting any pressure on them. Eventually looked like this.

File 11-07-2017, 18 00 50.jpeg

Next step is to put the safe in, which uses the same mounts as the seat base. I connected all the wiring back up and tested everything to make sure I hadn't messed anything up before fastening the base down using shear nuts epoxyed to the mounts and red loctite in the threads, just to add that bit more awkwardness getting it out.

File 11-07-2017, 18 04 15.jpeg

All that wiring will now not reach where it was originally mounted but there are plenty of suitables holes in various places on the seat base, so it wasn't difficult to find new mounting points for everything.

File 11-07-2017, 18 04 52.jpeg

Then it was just a matter of taping the remaining wires down, plugging the seat heater cable back in and remounting the seat. I checked that nothing fouled when the seat moved fore and aft or swivelled and all was fine. The rear trim panel doesn't fit back on properly with a safe fitted, but I'll make some mounts for it that can let it sit about 40mm further backward and still unclip easily. It's going on the "when I get time" list :D

Then put my Heko deflectors on which was a nice and easy 2 min job thankfully :thumbsup:

Both my seat bases are full of electrics, subwoofer and the likes. I have been pondering security too. The two options I've thought of is fitting an electronic safe under the rib bed bolted to the floor or the rib frame. The second thing I was thinking was the narrow carpeted panel beside the sliding door. I used hidden trim clips and the panel pops off easy enough. Was thinking I could put something behind there. just hope the robbers don't read this

Yes my T5 had the leisure battery in the back so I had a subwoofer under the drivers seat but I had to choose this time and opted to go without the subwoofer and have the safe

Thanks for posting that Andys :thumbsup:

Can you post a link that the actual safe you used please ;)

I've got a leisure battery under the drivers seat, I'll have a peek under the passenger seat. Its a solo captain seat so the room underneath is not as capacious.

Thanks for posting that Andys :thumbsup:

Can you post a link that the actual safe you used please ;)

I've got a leisure battery under the drivers seat, I'll have a peek under the passenger seat. Its a solo captain seat so the room underneath is not as capacious.

It's this one VW T4/T5 Underseat safe
My passenger seat is also a single captains seat, they would only fit a single seat I think as the mounting holes are fixed

Not cheap but it's the only one I found. I also used the same one on my last van

Our last Cali had a safe hidden in the cupboard - factory fitted. But it nicked a fair bit of cupboard depth so we left it off this order.

I have a key operated small safe welded to one of the legs on my R&R bed , tucked behind a rear cupboard so its awkward to get at . I will add one thing , Don't buy the cheaper digital safes , you only need to wack the top of them with a hammer and they open . I know this because my son went threw a theft spell and opened one we had , needless to say it got thrown out ..... i also threw the safe out !!!! lol

Yes those do look good, considered one in my T5 but wouldn't be able to fit all the wiring that's under my passenger seat round it in the T6, and also the top of the safe turned out to be a good place to fit the amp

That's the one I'm running, good bit of kit.

I had one fitted under the Front pass seat, when the conversion was done.
Very neat.
Takes an Ipad and the passports and small valuables.
Front door comes off completely so good access.
Best accessed from standing outside the door. Trickier from the sitting position!!

Anyone running with the just hampers seat Safe? Where to the electrical plug go when it's fitted?

Wow under seat safes are costly - for what other than the suppliers don’t think people will notice!

Off the shelf safe that fits, L section flange welded on in an hour - I believe £40 all in is the total cost…..will keep you posted.

IMO better to stash your valuables in an unusual place, nothing is unbreakable, especially a folded steel box that may as well say ‘IT’S IN HERE’ on the lid.
Have a root around your dashboard, you might be surprised what comes off with just fingertips and has a nice stowage area behind!

Back