Sliding Window butterfly-catch stuck

T6dder

Web/graphic designer
T6 Guru
I have found on the odd occasion one of my Kombi rear sliding windows gets jammed shut. I even asked one of the guys where I bought it from to try and he couldn't open it either.

I think it may be on hotter days, which is obviously when I want to open the window too!

I was advised to take it back for fixing so may have to if it persists. It may only be teething troubles so will give it a few more weeks.

We had a new mini with sunroof that wouldn't open in the hot weather. BMW couldn't see why I wasn't happy with them as they keep having back to fix it .Its like having a umbrella that wont open in the rain.

What sort of latch do they use? The same as a California?
I snapped one in my hand (butterly latch) when we were free camping in Spain leaving the window jammed wide open - took the nimble fingers of the wife to shut it!

Yeah is a butterfly latch. Not the most user-friendly mech. My kids struggle with opening the windows.

Might be worth lubricating the latch and the "pins" that it opens and closes when squeezed. WD40, Silicon Spray or GT85 would do.
If that doesn't work, get it to the dealer - when mine was replaced (on my old T5.1) it appeared that they were quite troublesome - they look exactly the same on our T6. Squeeze with care too!

Yeah have lubed my up. It does seem the pin is not located too well in the closed position. Seems to be working fine at the moment, but if it happens again I will take it back.

I swear by silicone spray, love the stuff
Bought the other day at halfords for a few quid fixed the sticky window on my works van that been annoying me for months.
I find my windows open ok but need a firm (shove) push to close fully and engage the latch my youngest two cant do it, 3&8, but my oldest can gonna get my super silicone on it the weekend as its time for a good clean and some tlc before going spray shop on Monday to remove a door dent kindly donated by someone

hi all, my son managed to crack the one side of the plastic side window fastener/catch today, whilst trying to open the window. Has anyone changed one of these, it’s only a year old so could/should I try warranty?

It’s worth a try but not sure they would cover it
It can be replaced and @DaveyB has done a guide to removing/refitting sliding window parts that will help

Hello all

Has anyone else had an issue with the side windows in the back of a comb jamming?

In my case (2015 T5) the O/S window works fine but the N/S nearly always jams. If you see the pictures below you can see a spring exposed when the window is in the ‘jammed’ position that is never visible on the other window.

Any ideas or help on a fix appreciated.

1..jpeg

2..jpeg

If the pin is not in the hole, the handles wont go flat, the pin won’t go in the hole if the window isn’t fully flush or the cover isn’t holding the pin and spring in its proper place.
Does it locate if you press on the cover?

Loz guessing the pin the bit where I have added the red arrow?

Where I have added the yellow arrow it seems to me that a locating lug isn't in a hole properly but of course I don't know if that's the correct way just that the opposite window doesn't seem to do this.

If I push the window over to where it should shut and slap the bit where I have added a yellow star it will nearly always pop shut.

Will check in daylight what happens if I press it.

2a..jpeg

Last edited:
I had a similar issue and if I recall, the covers were upside down. When I swapped them around, upper to lower, it was improved. Are they slightly different lengths?

Back