Sleep In The Van Or In The Awning ?

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
2018 has been our 1st year of going away in the van having only got it in july , we have been sleeping in the van on our 3/4 width bed ( a bit more space would be lovely ) for our trips away so far . Im thinking of buying an inner bedroom for our drive away awning and to sleep in this rather than in the van , they look very easy to put up and take down, there's only a few clips/toggles and it would give us a bit more room to spread out .

What do you more experienced guys and girls do ? sleep in the van or in the awning ?

and why is that ? , i didn't realise i had asked such a daft question

It's up to you really. I use my Caravelle as seating area during the day and sleep in the awning. You've got more facilities in a campervan but if you slept in the awning you could leave it set up for seating/eating etc .

It's up to you really. I use my Caravelle as seating area during the day and sleep in the awning. You've got more facilities in a campervan but if you slept in the awning you could leave it set up for seating/eating etc .
thanks, thats what i was thinking of doing, its nice to get a constructive reply from someone ! I thought forums were about about helping out other enthusiasts...rather than give s****y sarcastic replies !

and why is that ? , i didn't realise i had asked such a daft question
I don't think @andys was saying it was a daft question and/or being sarcastic - his response was pretty much the same as mine when I saw your post.

We got the van after years of camping under canvas and on the verge of giving up our camping career - it is great to wake up in the van feeling refreshed without that clammy feeling we always got waking up under canvas - our last season under canvas was on good Outwell camp beds with Duvalay Sleeping bags on top which improved the camping under canvas comfort factor but not as good as sleeping in the van. There is no way I would revert to sleeping in the awning with a perfectly good kitted out camper van next to me.

We bought an awning and the internal bedroom but in 3 years we have never ever used it. I guess we just prefer to sleep in the camper and here are some of our reasons
We feel safer
The kitchen is within reach for the morning cup of tea in bed
We are always dry
It’s quieter
It’s cooler/warmer
The awning is usually so full of stuff that the bedroom just wouldn’t fit
I am sure different folks have different reasons but hope these help

I don't think @andys was saying it was a daft question and/or being sarcastic - his response was pretty much the same as mine when I saw your post.

We got the van after years of camping under canvas and on the verge of giving up our camping career - it is great to wake up in the van feeling refreshed without that clammy feeling we always got waking up under canvas - our last season under canvas was on good Outwell camp beds with Duvalay Sleeping bags on top which improved the camping under canvas comfort factor but not as good as sleeping in the van. There is no way I would revert to sleeping in the awning with a perfectly good kitted out camper van next to me.
i'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on @andys reply, sometimes its not what you say, its how you say it . Thankfully there are some very helpful and constructive members on this forum :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

thanks, thats what i was thinking of doing, its nice to get a constructive reply from someone ! I thought forums were about about helping out other enthusiasts...rather than give s****y sarcastic replies !
Didn't realise I was giving a sh!tty reply, seemed perfectly logical to me, why bother with the expense of a campervan if you're going to sleep in a tent. And the purpose of asking questions on a forum is to get opinions but that's fine I won't trouble you again.

One of the things I love about the Smart Bed, is how quickly you can convert it from seat to bed, about 10 seconds. Back to seat, 5 seconds.

Theres something nice about having everything to hand sleeping in the van. Electric, water, heater. Plus its your little home from home. And damm tooting Im gonna get value for money out of how much time, effort and folding I've invested in it.

Giving up my bed in the van to someone for a bed in the awning, would greatly depend on how much I actually liked them. I like my mates. I love my family.........but not that much. :whistle:

Or another way to look at it...

It's a bit like stepping on board an aircraft. The difference being that with my van and awning......

I get to turn left. :thumbsup:

Really glad you asked this question Andy Greenwood. Like you, we got our camper van in July, and my wife, 8 year old son and I have slept in it very comfortably. But I am still considering getting a Kampa Travel Pod Mini as it seems a practical size, is really good value and comes with a two berth inner tent. My thinking being that it would give us extra storage / eating/ sleeping space particularly when staying at one location for a few nights (I am 6’3” and get hot very easily!), and being ‘drive-away’ too it would reserve the pitch when we are out for the day! (something we are both a bit paranoid about ie coming back from a day out and finding no room left - I should add that we are new to campervans, having previously had tents).

Really glad you asked this question Andy Greenwood. Like you, we got our camper van in July, and my wife, 8 year old son and I have slept in it very comfortably. But I am still considering getting a Kampa Travel Pod Mini as it seems a practical size, is really good value and comes with a two berth inner tent. My thinking being that it would give us extra storage / eating/ sleeping space particularly when staying at one location for a few nights (I am 6’3” and get hot very easily!), and being ‘drive-away’ too it would reserve the pitch when we are out for the day! (something we are both a bit paranoid about ie coming back from a day out and finding no room left - I should add that we are new to campervans, having previously had tents).
we already have the kampa travel pod motion air, its a nice drive away awning. I was just thinking it would be nice to have a bit more space when sleeping. The 3/4 beds in the campers are fine but a bit more space would be great, thats why i was thinking of maybe sleeping in the awning in one of the clip in bedrooms.

I've only just got my van and it doesn't get converted until Feb so I can't speak from actual experience. However, my wife sleeps like a starfish and so the RIB bed would likely prove too small for us. We'll probably end up with one sleeping on the bed and the other in the roof bed. I wouldnt rule out sleeping in the awning but I think ours will end up being stuffed with deckchairs, BBQs, tables and such.

Van every time, had 30+ years under canvas, the van is warm/cool/dark/quiet/doesn’t flap/dry.
you're probably 100% correct,
I've only just got my van and it doesn't get converted until Feb so I can't speak from actual experience. However, my wife sleeps like a starfish and so the RIB bed would likely prove too small for us. We'll probably end up with one sleeping on the bed and the other in the roof bed. I wouldnt rule out sleeping in the awning but I think ours will end up being stuffed with deckchairs, BBQs, tables and such.
I know what you're saying, my wife likes plenty of space, then there's our little dog as well. It gets quite cramped on the RIB bed with the 3 of us

Back