Sidelights Question Post H4 To H7 Upgrade

Farnorthsurfer

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Did a search on this and gather that there might be coding for the sidelights configuration.
After changing the headlamp units from H4 to H7 my sidelights are on all the time along with the DRL’s.
Pretty sure it’s not right.
Can anyone confirm standard H7 operation and also can I fix this with Carista or do I need VCDS?
From my research pre H7 install I know that I can use VCDS to get the main and high beams on at the same time.
Thanks

Hi,

I have H7s and the DRLs are on when the lights are in “auto” (day) or set to “0”. No sides though.

If I put the sidelights on, it will light up the DRLs and sidelights.

If you click the front fogs on, it drops the DRLs and so has sides and fogs.

When you go to headlights, it’ll be heads and sides, but no DRLs.

Have you had them coded with VCDS yet?

Hi thanks for the reply.
No I haven't found a VCDS yet to do the coding for the lights.
For whatever reason I think the sidelights are coded to be on whenever the DRL's are on. Hopefully I can work out how to code them off when I do multiple lamps change on the H7 units.
I also want to code the mirrors to fold on lock so the list of VCDS chores is growing.
I bought a Carista dongle but haven't used it yet as it doesn't actually do any of these changes.

Thank you for the pointer and link, @mmi looks like I will be able to alter the behavior to suit.
Do you think I should start by telling the system in Byte 18 that it has H7 headlights?
That warning looks quite severe in the screenshot.
Never used VCDS before and am doing my homework so will read up in that forum section.

Thank you for the pointer and link, @mmi looks like I will be able to alter the behavior to suit.
Do you think I should start by telling the system in Byte 18 that it has H7 headlights?
That warning looks quite severe in the screenshot.
Never used VCDS before and am doing my homework so will read up in that forum section.
Good information in here ---> H4 --> H7 journey

1) It seems that coding Byte 22 might be enough -- to keep dipped beam on with main beam, see Byte 22/2 ---> Bcu Central Electrics Module 09 Byte Screen Shots .

2) I have to admit that I'm not sure if byte 18 needs coding at all.
---> H4 --> H7 journey
Anyways, if needed it seems the factory H7 coding (for byte 18) = 69 ---> H4 --> H7 journey

This happened to me several months back and I solved it using Carista. Details here: Lighting Madness

Thanks very much for the heads up there, I might try Carista as I bought a dongle but haven't used it yet. Hopefully the sidelights have been added to the customization list and are not still in beta.
So to clarify @walnuts you cleared the always on sidelights by clearing the ignition on option in Carista App?

Also thanks to @mmi That is the thread that got me started on wanting H7 lights as I already had a very ugly LED light bar on the front that was fitted in the lower grille by the previous owner. Made my van look like a motorway maintenance hack.

Have found the forum very useful and everyone has been a great help.

Reactions: mmi
Yes. The answer is in the module 09-central electronics.
Below the coding just grouped somewhat for readability:
View attachment 30082

So the specific coding extracted from the hex code in byte 12 tells that parking lights are coded to be ON when ignition (=terminal 15) is ON as the lowest/rightmost bit is "ticked" = "1".
View attachment 30083

So I tried Carista (not the beta) and had no joy finding the parking light custom options.
But I have downloaded the configuration text and think that my byte 12 is 6D which probably means it’s coded to be parking lights on when ignition is live right @mmi , so need either a beta Carista or VCDS.
I need VCDS todo the mirror folding anyway.

Central electronics
Part #: 7E0937090
Coding: B8 F4 79 3A 0A 61 34 93 93 28 4F 74 6D EB 9E F4 8F A0 71 0F 60 CC 6D 60 32 04 00 23 08 00 (hex)
Component: BCM PQ25 Max4
[No fault codes]

Reactions: mmi
If parking lights are set to be on with ignition you will have rear lights always on also (easy way to tell)

True, 6D means the parking lights are on when IGNition ON.
upload_2019-7-8_22-18-30.png
Unfortunately, the coding is not available in Carista - so it's either those, or OBDeleven.
upload_2019-7-8_22-36-55.png

If parking lights are set to be on with ignition you will have rear lights always on also (easy way to tell)

Thanks @Pauly you got me off the sofa to check right away and yes the rear lights are on at light switch position 0.
So it’s looking like the coding has changed when the H7’s were fitted.

(Hi Pauly, should I PM you about buying parts or is it not really worth it for shipping to the Highlands? Is there a discount if I join as a VIP member? The advice I have had already from everyone is worth the subscription thanks.

Feel free to shoot me a message, highlands postage is never cheap so depends what you are after and yes should definitely take out VIP membership, it gives you full access to all areas of the forum/downloads etc

Back