Side Tents Inflatable or otherwise , Khyam or ?

Caulkhead

Builder
T6 Guru
Which would be your choice inflatable or rigid pole and why?
I have been advised that the flexible/rigid when upright method of your attachment is better than inflatable, which do you all prefer before I buy.
They say it’s quicker to erect a rigid/flexible pole system which I understand as it’s instant as opposed to an inflatable system which you have to wait for the system to blow up/air.
The reason that I have been told that the flexible pole system is better is because the time lag & time for the erecting of same and if you have the tube/ air system possibilities of a puncture ( which I cannot imagine )

Kayham !!.,.

This is a motor dome sleeper, cracking bit of kit

7C8D2931-C7E8-41C8-8AAB-E3D9B41F06F7.jpeg

The reason that I have been told that the flexible pole system is better is because the time lag & time for the erecting of same and if you have the tube/ air system possibilities of a puncture ( which I cannot imagine )

I'm in the Caravan and Motorhome industry and air awnings are big business with my customers from companies like Kampa. In all the years i've known, I have never heard a customer mention they had a puncture, so I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect when choosing.

I'm in two minds about having a tent/awning etc as the whole point of getting a van that we can all sleep in is that we can just pack up and go, but interested to see what people say.

I've just bought a Vango Kela 3 Awning. It is this years model (2017) and I paid £389 (Funky Leisure). The 2018 model is called the Kela 4 (brilliant thinking!) and has minor, insignificant modifications, i.e. to justify calling it a new model..........the price? £579 from Winfields. So now is a good time to treat yourselves to one of the most popular campervan awnings at a great price before they sell out. The inflatable system is brilliant by the way.

Which would be your choice inflatable or rigid pole and why?
I have been advised that the flexible/rigid when upright method of your attachment is better than inflatable, which do you all prefer before I buy.
They say it’s quicker to erect a rigid/flexible pole system which I understand as it’s instant as opposed to an inflatable system which you have to wait for the system to blow up/air.

Got a Brand New Khyam Motordome Classic for sale if you are interested - complete with 2 Groundsheets, Cador Strip etc - all unused

50% off Khyam from Monday, but available now for VW folk apparently (haven't checked myself but others say it works). Code is BLACKFRIDAY50

We have tried both, rigid pole and airbeam, rigid pole for us, l’m not saying it’s the best but it’s quicker for us to put up and pack away as and when we use it which is not often. I can see the appeal of the added space for some people but we probably only use one 2 to 3 times a year at most and it’s just too much hassle.

For what it's worth, we've got a Vango Galli and absolutely love it. 10 minutes to put up and 5 minutes down and away. Brilliant piece of kit. Obviously that's once I've spent an hour tidying up the detritus of two small kids thougho_O

I've just bought a Vango Kela 3 Awning. It is this years model (2017) and I paid £389 (Funky Leisure). The 2018 model is called the Kela 4 (brilliant thinking!) and has minor, insignificant modifications, i.e. to justify calling it a new model..........the price? £579 from Winfields. So now is a good time to treat yourselves to one of the most popular campervan awnings at a great price before they sell out. The inflatable system is brilliant by the way.
You got a bargain! Kella 3 great bit of kit and considerable saving

I have the Outdoor Rev Cayman Air. 10 mins pitching, 10 mins packing away. The last time I used it was at a music festival. There was massive downpours every day with high winds. It was bone dry every time. The bit between the van and main tent isn’t so waterproof though. Not horrendous but it did drip in a few places.

3243E6CC-4A4B-4015-AE3F-BFAB3EC4802F.jpeg

@Penry Ha - possibly a bit of beer bravado in my timings there! It genuinely is really quick once you've done it a few times, although I'd conveniently forgotten that it takes ages to peg out (albeit this presumably is the same with any awning/tent). First couple of goes it took us ages to get the hang of lining up and attaching to the van, but that gets easier. Getting it down and away takes no time though.

IMG-20170831-WA0004.jpg
We have an inflatable system - very quick to blow up and move into position.
Easy to attach to van etc
Outdoor Revolution - movelite 2
No punctures......yet!!
Sewn in g/s and inner sleeping tent if needed.
Easy to drive away from.....oh..and return!

Got an outdoor revolution movelite T4.
I unpacked it for first use at Bala earlier this year, to find it had a puncture in one of the beams. The puncture kit is crap and didn’t seal it. A big wrap of duck tape made it useable. Did manage to get the supplier to send me a replacement free of charge, but it took months, had only just got it by the time Busfest rolled round.

Got an outdoor revolution movelite T4.
I unpacked it for first use at Bala earlier this year, to find it had a puncture in one of the beams. The puncture kit is crap and didn’t seal it. A big wrap of duck tape made it useable. Did manage to get the supplier to send me a replacement free of charge, but it took months, had only just got it by the time Busfest rolled round.

Oh no!
Did it work the second time around?

Yes the replacement was fine. Even though the electric inflator is rather overpriced, that is to be purchased prior to the awnings next use as the manual pump that comes with it is blooming awful. You pull the plunger back up to the top and the top collar pops off, breaking the seal so all of the air you have got into the beam pee’s off back into the atmosphere, and your awning returns to a pile of canvas on the floor. Believe @Pauly has a similar issue with his pump for his O.R movelite T5.

Back