Van-X Side skirts / Sill covers

PXL_20201213_113300693~2.jpg
PXL_20201213_113243979.jpg
Interesting effect, huh? I chose black so that the silver might appear like a side rail more than a skirt. But that was at the risk of making the van appear higher not lower. It is lower by 40mm on the suspension and these skirts are another 65mm (not sure if that's total depth or additional depth below the sill). I'd be interested how that compares to the OEM side rails for real-life ground clearance.

I've got the Vanstyle skid plates to fit which will add more black to the front and back, I'm hoping they will make the front and back appear higher too, to match.

You can paint / wrap these skirts by popping out the silver trim, so I've the option to go body colour later. See this thread for details:

Got there in the end @Andysmee ,worth the wait,looks good,i like the black against the white,it's different. My friend that helped fit mine has his own garage and fits skirts etc on a regular basis so it was obvious to him how they went on and he made short work of them but i agree,without instructions it could be a struggle if you have never done them before,done now though and looking good!

I keep looking back at these pictures (since looking out the window isn't much use!) and I can't actually explain what I've done to the van :confused: When you look at the van for real they are obviously black skirts which looks odd, even though the effect, in pictures, works. It's quite strange. It's not helped by the black being gloss (the silver is matt/brushed).

I'll put the skid plates on but I think I won't keep the skirts like this. Luckily there are loads of options, including selling them (as I picked them up in the black friday sale) or painting them and changing the highlight colour e.g. paint them candy white and wrap the metal bars in carbon effect to match the skid plates I've got - which would be close to the factory Sports Package. Or I could add Panamericana-esque ABS to the lower panels. Or even the Edition 30 decals.

It's certainly unique :p

I keep looking back at these pictures (since looking out the window isn't much use!) and I can't actually explain what I've done to the van :confused: When you look at the van for real they are obviously black skirts which looks odd, even though the effect, in pictures, works. It's quite strange. It's not helped by the black being gloss (the silver is matt/brushed).

I'll put the skid plates on but I think I won't keep the skirts like this. Luckily there are loads of options, including selling them (as I picked them up in the black friday sale) or painting them and changing the highlight colour e.g. paint them candy white and wrap the metal bars in carbon effect to match the skid plates I've got - which would be close to the factory Sports Package. Or I could add Panamericana-esque ABS to the lower panels. Or even the Edition 30 decals.

It's certainly unique :p
Personally I like it, looks like a side bar without the bar!

Silver skid plates would go well with that. Look forward to seeing what the black ones do for it.

Had my van x side skirts for a couple
Months now, very happy with how they look! Only problem I’ve got is that they appear to hold water because the skirt creates a lip, Which is starting to show signs of rust! Anyone suffering from the same thing and have any ideas overcoming this problem?

cheers
Sam

0E269781-4048-4EDC-BE01-8C4DE165B0FA.png

690A3D51-B97D-42DA-943D-AEC768DD73B6.jpeg

83C9DD43-2081-4004-9A07-51F3CB617D83.jpeg

To be honest @Samboy ,i have barely looked at the van for the last 5-6 weeks but i will have a look tomorrow. Is it definitely rust and not just dirt? Also is it on the skirt or the actual body of the van because the skirts are plastic. Maybe try cleaning the dirt off to get a proper look at whats going on. I will let you know what mine are like tomorrow

Reactions: JOG
Had my van x side skirts for a couple
Months now, very happy with how they look! Only problem I’ve got is that they appear to hold water because the skirt creates a lip, Which is starting to show signs of rust! Anyone suffering from the same thing and have any ideas overcoming this problem?

cheers

speaking to a body shop near me they recommend fitting these with windscreen adhesive as that will create a water tight seal.

speaking to a body shop near me they recommend fitting these with windscreen adhesive as that will create a water tight seal.

to be honest! I actually really don’t like the skirts, Taking them off this weekend if you know anyone who’s after a pair

Difficult to see but i had the VW arches that most of the guys fit to swampers color coded, the wheels are an after market copy of the R Line wheel fitted to the VW Tiguan
Did they need much trimming to suit the Sportline splitter?

Fitted mine today. Pleased with the overall look but bit off a faff to be honest.

Drivers side only the front half of the 3m tape stuck to the sills. Had to buy more tape to double the thickness and even then had difficulty sticking.

Passenger side all tape stuck well first time but there is about a 1cm section where rear sliding door catches them and has rubbed off the paint.

Hey ho20220129_152112.jpg

Back