(Side Assist) / (Blind Spot Detection & Rear Cross Traffic Alert) retrofit

Actually there are 3 pins on each OEM mirror LED. Middle one is not in use.
GND is common for both sides and then you have to try it yourself.
These LEDs are polarity sensitive, they will only work if supply is connected correctly.
:whistle:

Screenshot_20200328-084950_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: mmi
I have managed to preform 35km long trip on a motorway today.
(I have a letter stating that I am an essential worker;). Please don't ask for posting it here as I won't be showing off :D.)
My 5Q0 SIDE ASSIST(BLIND SPOT) aspect of the system already works 100%.
Actually it works practically the same way as 7E0 system.
The only difference is the following:
- system start up(mirror LEDs glow up very slowly and gradually:cool: and start delay is much shorter comparing to 7E0 system)
- extra menu in IC(Assist systems) for mirror LED brightness doesn't exits with 5Q0 units (credit to @mmi for cross checking this with MQB platform vehicles:thumbsup:). This adjustment on my old 7E0 system was useless anyway as I always kept it at max brightness and all other settings were too dark in my opinion.

Edit:
Obviously both 7E0 & 5Q0 systems adjust mirror LEDs brightness automatically via RLS sensor.

There is also one more difference (a very important one ;)):

7E0 - lane change assist operates from 60 km/h to maximum speed and deactivates if the speed falls below 50 km/h
5Q0 - lane change assist operates from 10 km/h to maximum speed and deactivates if the speed falls below 5 km/h :p

This gives 5Q0 huge practical advantage over 7E0 cause it works virtually in all traffic circumstances :cool:
While 7E0 is orientated mostly for motorway and carriageway use(roads with higher speed limits).

RTA system operates when reversing gear is engaged, brake pedal is not depressed
and "negative" speed of RTA equipped vehicle is within (1-7.5) mph = (1-12) km/h.
The speed of "rear crossing" vehicle must be greater that 2.5 mph = 4 km/h.

rta.png

YELLOW zone is the area where time to possible collision is within (1.5 sec. to 2.5 sec.)
RED zone is the area where time to possible collision is within (0.5 sec. to 1.5 sec.)
BROWN zone is the area where time to possible collision is below 0.5 sec.

And again huge credit to @mmi for his involvement and collaboration ;).

I guess we need to change ABS sensors on wheels... T6 ABS sensors are not directional i think...

RTA system operates when reversing gear is engaged, brake pedal is not depressed
and "negative" speed of RTA equipped vehicle is within (1-7.5) mph = (1-12) km/h.
The speed of "rear crossing" vehicle must be greater that 2.5 mph = 4 km/h.

View attachment 66700

YELLOW zone is the area where time to possible collision is within (1.5 sec. to 2.5 sec.)
RED zone is the area where time to possible collision is within (0.5 sec. to 1.5 sec.)
BROWN zone is the area where time to possible collision is below 0.5 sec.

And again huge credit to @mmi for his involvement and collaboration ;).

I guess we need to change ABS sensors on wheels... T6 ABS sensors are not directional i think...
I am not a 100% sure of that aspect yet.
I am getting concentrated on the warning element first and it appears that PDC will need to be upgraded to a MQB/PQ35 unit.

If we need this, than i have the ABS Coding and the Sensors for it.
We only have to look to the Caddy, but Caddy did use this only for the PLA, i thought.

Last edited:
If we need this, than i have the ABS Coding and the Sensors for it.
We only have to look to the Caddy, but Caddy did use this only for the PLA, i thought.
The RTA do break the car if the driver fail to do so... ABS need to code to do that... Like Robert picture show its not active...

The concept is good but I really dont like this idea of the flashing warning signals being mounted in the side mirrors where they're visible to overtaking vehicles.
Turn-indicators on mirrors are quite common now so if you see a flashing mirror you assume the car is about to pull out.
Imagine if every time you began to pass a car, it indicated that it was about to pull out into your path. Why not have an internal warning instead?
For bikers with our heightened awareness when overtaking its even worse, with the flash prompting emergency braking...
Cheers
Phil

Reactions: mmi
I am not a 100% sure of that aspect yet.
I am getting concentrated on the warning element first and it appears that PDC will need to be upgraded to MQB/PQ35 unit.
Discover Media on T6 is a PQ35 unit which makes it 100% compatible with 5Q0 radars(they can be configured to operate as PQ35).

upload_2020-3-30_21-8-10.png
( credit to @mmi for supplying the screenshot ;) )

But to display the actual visual RTA warning, the PDC unit has to be upgraded.

There are 2 choices:

1. 1K8 919 472 C
PROS: straight fit with adapter

adapter.png

Or repining

t2AAAgBzFeA-960.jpg

CONS: much more expensive

2. 5Q0 919 294 K

PROS: much cheaper
CONS: requires reflashing with 1K8 919 472 C firmware

EDIT:
Obviously same loom and same repining as above applies :whistle: .

Discover Media in T6 is a PQ35 unit which makes it 100% compatible with 5Q0 radars(they can be configured to operate as PQ35).

View attachment 66967
( credit to @mmi for supplying the screenshot ;) )

But to display the actual visual RTA warning, the PDC unit has to be upgraded.

There are 2 choices:

1. 1K8 919 472 C
PROS: straight fit with adapter

View attachment 66974

Or repining

View attachment 66975

CONS: much more expensive

2. 5Q0 919 294 K

PROS: much cheaper
CONS: requires reflashing with 1K8 919 472 C firmware

EDIT:
Obviously same loom and same repining as above applies :whistle: .
I didn't get a chance to verify this myself (yet) but apparently there are few side effects of this upgrade.

1. Automatic activation of PCD system, by simple approach to obstruction at low speed.

2. Dynamic guide lines, driven by steering wheel movements.

3. Non OEM front camera activation on DM via PDC OEM console switch.

:cool:

Back