Shuttle 3rd row bed

coullstar

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
We have a LWB Shuttle so was looking for simple weekend sleeping options away from tents. Looking at something that is easy to remove and store when not in use as we dont keep 3rd row in the bus due to bikes/dogs going in the back. The shuttle is one of our everyday cars so needs to be easily removable and not too massive to store in the garage.

For weekends camping we want to remove middle row of seats and use the bench 3rd row of seats only then fold this down have a bed along the back. Have captains seats so will swivel them and have removable table for centre section.
I've seen Van King and Slidepods etc but in all honesty only really need a frame/floor to put a mattress on and leave storage underneath. Slidepod utility seems good but again probably maybe more than we need.

Anyone got a simple solution for this on any other of the shelf options available?

I've got the Van-king shuttle bed and it takes a couple of mins to install and remove. Its not expensive either compared to other offerings out there.
What about some large storage boxes (same height as the folded down rear seat) and a blow up mattress?

Yeah the Van King does seem best fit for us. Im just wary of spending £800+ and it not working so was thinking of doing as you suggest to try it first and see then commit. Just wondering what others have tried as well to get some options.

Just wondering if its worth taking out the 2nd row and then using the 3rd row all the time, only issue is then we wouldnt get the bikes in the bus which we use a lot so Id need a bike rack.

With the Van King Im assuming the side frame is easy to stay in and you just remove the top bars? Is the mattress attached to the wood or can that be removed on its own?

Last edited:
If youre handy with a saw could you not knock up a table with folding legs (or removable) that is the same height which would double as a table and then fold pretty much flat in the boot.

Cost, ease of installation. Murray who runs the company was very helpful too. If you want any pix of the install just shout.

With the van-king bed. It attaches to the oem strap down points (you have to change one as its currently a unused seat mount point but you get this supplied) so you could just leave the sides of the bed in and still have all the space in the boot, when you need the bed you put the 2 cross members in (4 bolts) and slide the bed board in.

Last edited:
Hi Coullstar,
Bought our LWB bus in February and Murray fitted the Van King bed in. There are pros and cons. a) get a full width bed, more comfortable than a 3/4. The down side is no room for the usual panel van conversions of side cupboards and electrics. b) huge amount of storage under the bed. The bed frame 17mm bolts in the tie down fittings, removed in minutes, Mattress out, board out and frame out. Have done twice in under 10 minutes. Would be another 10 with 2 men to remove the rear bench seat, then have the entire length of a van.
Recently bought a Fiamma bike frame, so no problem with wet and muddy bikes. However have needed also to upgrade the strength of the telescopic rams regarding the extra weight.
For us the only down side at the moment is that the bed being so high is a little tight to get in and out. We sleep head to the tailgate and slide up and down. With a pop up roof no problem. I like the high top roofs but Denby Fitters won't supply for a bus, evidently the LWB Panel van has a different roof than the Shuttle Bus. So now on the lookout for a supplier and fitter of a high top. The ones I have seen about, evidently come fitted from VW direct in Germany, and not an after market. But I am optimistic.

If youre handy with a saw could you not knock up a table with folding legs (or removable) that is the same height which would double as a table and then fold pretty much flat in the boot.
I’ve bought some £2.50 Ikea table legs to make a raised platform. The legs have a baseplate they screw onto so you can get the board flat for storage when not in use. Legs are called Adils.

Price of sheet timber gone a bit silly lately though!

Back