VW Shuttle - Pros and Cons

AYRGUNN

I have been looking for a Kombi van now for over a year with no joy in finding the van I like. I have seen a shuttle that ticks most of the boxes I like. Im sure there are Pros and cons to a shuttle and would like to hear peoples opinions and experiences. I would be using the van for 4/5 day trips for fishing/Munros. I would be looking to remove the 3rd row seats and fit either a camper king or 40 winks bed system to make a sort of day van. I would also be putting a roof tent on it so 4 people sleeping in it could be an option when needed. Thanks for reading, any input appreciated.

The usual 'downside' of starting with a shuttle is that it adds a few minor complications when converting to a full camper with an "o/s kitchen" layout - certainly nothing insurmountable, but things like having twin sliders and having to relocate the heating/air ducting in the rear can put some converters off. However, as you're going for a day van layout, I can't see any disadvantage TBH.

Hopefully someone who's been down the same path, using a Shuttle as a base van, can confirm (or otherwise!).

I converted a shuttle to a camper. I opted to remove the HVAC complete as generally there are only two of us - this frees up quite a bit of space. Lots of converters can re locate the ducting if you want to keep it. The drivers slider actually worked our very well. I used evo units and they have a mod for offside door pillar. I modified the top loader hinge slightly but overall v good. It also means I can access gas storage, water tank and a cubby hole for tools where the doorstep was through the door from outside

I see that quite a few folks with twin sliders put some of the leisure electrical system on the "back" of the side kitchen units.

That way they are still close to the main electrics under the seat bases but it's easy to get to, have a bit more space for ventilation and make use of a reasonably dead space.

I’ve got a lbw Shuttle SE, which replaced a T5.1 Caravelle. Very few downsides over the Caravelle, but the SE has the H7 headlights, a decent amount of soundproofing and the rear row of seats can be easily removed, as can any of the middle row without to much difficulty.
Have a look at the @VAN-KING bed options for the LWB Shuttle. Very well made, comfortable mattress and flexible to use. The LWB can carry bikes upright behind the middle row of seats.

I took have a 2017 Shuttle SE.

I kept the car as much original as possible hoping not to put off anyone who buys it off me when I change it.

I didn't want to pay the Van King prices so built myself a plywood shelf in the rear and use an IKEA 4 inch futon mattress over the shelf and rear seat folded forward. It's lives stowed over the shelf when the rear seat is up.
I fitted Kiravans curtains Just Kampets insulation pads over the windows, with smoke colour wind deflectors allowing me to leave the front windows down and inch without folk noticing.
I fitted a cheap AGM battery and a Renogy DC-DC charger under the passenger seat. This powers the secondary (3rd) diesel heater which is under the vehicle hidden behind the plastic protector panels. I have outlets, usb & 12v and lights off the leisure battery also.
I also fitted a single captains passenger chair and swivels to make it more convenient when the weather is grim and you don't want to have to go out of the vehicle to get in the rear.

It's enough for me to be able to use it as a camper, including cooking on an aluminium table in the middle, as most of the time the middle seats live in the conservatory.
The downside of a Shuttle is you limit the number of convertors who will touch a Shuttle, or at least this was he case when I first bought ours during lockdown.

I bought the Shuttle at the time as I wanted a camper during lockdown for everything shot up in price as a result of demand. At he time Auto trader had everything under the Transporter option except the Shuttles. Shuttles were lower milage and less money at the time. I put it down to businesses not being able to operate, due to the Lockdown, no flights etc, and having bought the vehicle of HP, so flogging them off cheap. I saw a High line Kombi at 160k miles for £24k and a Shuttle SE at £20k with only 80k miles on the clock.

I'm on my 2nd shuttle. Love them, very car like and comfortable, can't give a comparison against a kombi as I haven't had one. My other half loves it as well, in fact she convinced me to get a nicer one second time around. Not sure she would have been into a kombi or not. Plus they are cheaper.

Thinking of getting a shuttle next; was it a nightmare to fit the curtains because of the plastic trim?

Back