Show us your danglies…

Hobbo

What's dangling from your rear view mirror??

I've got a lei that used to smell of washed cotton, now smells of wet dog, and a Break Fluid Coffee Co air freshener that used to smell of coffee and now also smells of wet dog....

PXL_20220309_092215386.jpg

And the source of the wet dog smell (although I also contribute)

PXL_20220309_091538072.jpg

What's dangling from yours?

In a previous life, I was a fatal accident investigator and reconstructor.

Two questions that coroners ALWAYS asked me were
1) what was the volume setting of the audio at the time of impact?
2) What distractions were attached to the rear view mirror or in the windscreen?

Funnily enough, the coroners already knew the answers as they would have already seen my reports, but I suspect that they wanted to press this home to the families and the public observers present.

2) What distractions were attached to the rear view mirror or in the windscreen?

Funnily enough, the coroners already knew the answers as they would have already seen my reports, but they I suspect that they wanted to press this home to the families and the public observers present.
Ah, that's really interesting. I always thought it was more a case of visibility- hanging a few things off a T6 screen still gives good visibility rather than the same stuff off a mini for example. Should I not hang anything at all, or would I get away with something small and dangly (fnarr)?

Funnily enough, the coroners already knew the answers as they would have already seen my reports, but they I suspect that they wanted to press this home to the families and the public observers present.
I've never been able to live with something dangling from the rear view mirror personally.

Being tall, I find the mirror itself is what blocks my view, let alone anything hanging from it.

Well, that’s what I use as my excuse for driving the van over the car

Funnily enough, the coroners already knew the answers as they would have already seen my reports, but I suspect that they wanted to press this home to the families and the public observers present.
I remember seeing a small hatchback with this huge iPad in the centre of the window - no doubt acting as the biggest sat-nav screen known to man - along with a stoved-in front nearside bumper. It was pretty clear how that dent had occurred :whistle:

I saw a woman in a little car with a baby in a carrier seat thing on the front seat, with a suckered on sunshade on the passenger window and another on the passenger side of the windscreen.

I saw a woman in a little car with a baby in a carrier seat thing on the front seat, with a suckered on sunshade on the passenger window and another on the passenger side of the windscreen.
Jeez wept

I've never been able to live with something dangling from the rear view mirror personally.
I find even an air freshener distracting

I just don't see why anybody would deliberately restrict their view of the road ahead, but also think the technology in today's vehicles is designed to take the driver's eyes off the road and distract the driver as much as possible anyway. The roads were safer when our cars didn't have all these screens allowing muppets to check out their latest Facebook likes while doing 70mph.....
Yes, I'm a dinosaur.....

I just don't see why anybody would deliberately restrict their view of the road ahead, but also think the technology in today's vehicles is designed to take the driver's eyes off the road and distract the driver as much as possible anyway. The roads were safer when our cars didn't have all these screens allowing muppets to check out their latest Facebook likes while doing 70mph.....
Yes, I'm a dinosaur.....
Long live the dinosaurs!

I must admin this isn't quite where I thought the thread was going to go!

What's the guidance on things stuck to your dashboard, or dashcams on screens- there's probably 1001 things that might count as a distraction. My biggest distraction is waving to other T6s desperately hoping they wave back.

Funnily enough I also saw someone with a tablet on their windscreen this morning, in fog.

I must admin this isn't quite where I thought the thread was going to go!

What's the guidance on things stuck to your dashboard, or dashcams on screens- there's probably 1001 things that might count as a distraction. My biggest distraction is waving to other T6s desperately hoping they wave back.

Funnily enough I also saw someone with a tablet on their windscreen this morning, in fog.
Im fairly certain you shouldnt have anything stuck to the windscreen in the area swept by the wipers. Not sure about the othee stuff though.
But i do remember seeing someone holding a tablet on the steering wheel and playing a driving game whilst doing about 60mph on the M60.

There’s a catchall piece of legislation (used to be the construction and use regs in my traffic police days) that requires a vehicle must not be in a position, condition or circumstance likely to cause danger to other road users.

Likewise, another regulation requires you to be in ‘proper control’ at all times.

In either instance, an officer just has to demonstrate to a magistrate that a particular set of circumstances was obviously dangerous then the offence is complete.

It’s not beyond the wit of anyone to consider that when comparing a clear screen against one with a ‘dangly’ that a driver’s view of (perhaps) a cyclist or motorcycle would certainly be impaired, and possibly dangerous.
No accident or incident is necessary.

BTW, it’s endorsable with 3 penalty points too.

I’m not anti ‘dangly’ per se, after all, we have huge rear view mirrors and Sat Navs and phones in windscreens, along with stickers etc etc but I don’t use danglies.

There’s a catchall piece of legislation (used to be the construction and use regs in my traffic police days) that requires a vehicle must not be in a position, condition or circumstance likely to cause danger to other road users.

Likewise, another regulation requires you to be in ‘proper control’ at all times.

In either instance, an officer just has to demonstrate to a magistrate that a particular set of circumstances was obviously dangerous then the offence is complete.

It’s not beyond the wit of anyone to consider that when comparing a clear screen against one with a ‘dangly’ that a driver’s view of (perhaps) a cyclist or motorcycle would certainly be impaired, and possibly dangerous.
No accident or incident is necessary.

BTW, it’s endorsable with 3 penalty points too.

I’m not anti ‘dangly’ per se, after all, we have huge rear view mirrors and Sat Navs and phones in windscreens, along with stickers etc etc but I don’t use danglies.
I always thought it was more about common sense and how much was restricting your view, but I suppose anything even slightly blocking your view makes sense to remove, so common sense to not have any. Having been knocked off my bike a few times and each time hearing 'I didn't see you' I wonder if something had obscured their view.

So RIP show us your danglies I suppose.

Instead here's a pic of a non-distracting Stich on my dashboard :)

PXL_20220314_144616844.jpg

I agree with you about common sense.

Folks are informed by their own experiences, and often are unaware of different perspectives.

I have no intention of preaching what others should do, rather, I hope to inform so that they can make their own minds up.

:thumbsup:

My Hawaiian garland has been removed from the mirror! :-(

I do find the A pillar / mirror creates more of a blind spot than the wispy garland but am happy to follow best advice of our resident traffic officer (retd).

I always think the biggest danger comes from the modern media things without buttons. you really have to take your eyes off the road to alter things. Yes I know there are controls on the steering wheel but there’s so many things you can’t do with them that you have to revert looking and punching the screen again

Back