Buying a second hand van

ohisay

T6 Pro
My first post on here, but start as you mean to go on… Hello from another newbie, based on Anglesey. I thought I would start with a giant whinge..

A couple of years ago I converted my Caddy to a camper, with the usual sound deadening, insulation and carpet lining blah blah, and really enjoyed the process, and the subsequent camping trips. However at 6’ 3” the standard Caddy is a bit of a challenge sleeping wise so decided the obvious next step would be a T6.

Since summer I have been looking for a PV within budget which equates roughly to around 3 years old and 30ish k miles.

On Thursday I went to test drive one at a large multi site dealership… and here the whinge begins…

First up I noticed the white van had slightly different shades of white, and the front passenger wing was clearly a later ‘upgrade’, presumably to replace the bent one VW had used originally (I must assume this as the dealer assured me that the vehicle had not been subject to any crash repair that they knew about because they don’t buy that sort of thing…). The offset to one side of the bumper under the headlights must therefore also be factory standard, as well as the cover on the driver’s side A pillar having a huge bulge in it. The worn hole in the driver’s seat covering may not be standard, but is possibly an after market upgrade?

It seems that the previous owner must have had a massive right arm as the strength needed to get the Driver’s door to shut properly was immense, in fact it is testament to how well VW built the internal door card and handle as it was still attached to the door after I managed to get it to shut. Looking at this on the outside, the edge of the door only lined up with the body at the top and began to meander away from it the further down you looked.

The actual drive went okay, although having not driven a T6 before I had no reference. The seat recline no longer functioned (the little wheel went round but nothing moved, so that was nice..), therefore the driving position wasn’t great. The button for locking the doors internally didn’t work, and the heater was set to full but didn’t seem to be particularly warm… and the various scratches on the dash seemed a bit random to be factory standard.

A poke around the engine bay revealed some random tissues left in there (which were soaking wet?) And a bit of tell tale white sludge under the oil cap and in the filler tube (although that might just have been caused by condensate as they have had the vehicle for over 250 days according to Carguru).

Further inspection of the exterior revealed that the rear barn doors didn’t line up, the gap at the top was about 3mm and around 12mm at the bottom. And there was a funny smell in the back, which may have been related to the bird droppings between the ply floor liner and the metal edge, I think you can get replacements for these from VW, called Vogelsheisse. The wheel trims (for this was a Trendline) were to put it bluntly ‘Fubarred’, the previous owner clearly made hitting kerbs an important part of his day.

Oh, and there was a dent in the sliding side door. According to the sales guy all of these issues were ‘cosmetic’, bless him, God loves a trier.. All of this could be yours for a smidge under £22k inc VAT.

Seriously, I mean SERIOUSLY, is this what I should expect for my budget? After my 80 mile round trip to see this I was quite despondent (and particularly grumpy), but I guess I will keep looking…

There’s plenty out there at least you had the mindset not to buy the first one you seen ;)
Took me ages to part with my well earned cash the right one will come along Good luck

(I must assume this as the dealer assured me that the vehicle had not been subject to any crash repair that they knew about because they don’t buy that sort of thing…)

Coughing . . . Muttering words that would have earned a clip round the ear from Granny . . .
Mismatched paint? Doors that don't line up front and rear? Just cosmetic? If they have not sold the van in 8 months then more experienced folk than you have smelled something other than bird poo! :D

You did right to walk away. Don't fret, a better one WILL turn up.
The sad thing is that as the current economic situation gets worse there are going to be decent people who have cared for their vehicles who find they have to sell.

My first post on here, but start as you mean to go on… Hello from another newbie, based on Anglesey. I thought I would start with a giant whinge..

A couple of years ago I converted my Caddy to a camper, with the usual sound deadening, insulation and carpet lining blah blah, and really enjoyed the process, and the subsequent camping trips. However at 6’ 3” the standard Caddy is a bit of a challenge sleeping wise so decided the obvious next step would be a T6.

Since summer I have been looking for a PV within budget which equates roughly to around 3 years old and 30ish k miles.

On Thursday I went to test drive one at a large multi site dealership… and here the whinge begins…

First up I noticed the white van had slightly different shades of white, and the front passenger wing was clearly a later ‘upgrade’, presumably to replace the bent one VW had used originally (I must assume this as the dealer assured me that the vehicle had not been subject to any crash repair that they knew about because they don’t buy that sort of thing…). The offset to one side of the bumper under the headlights must therefore also be factory standard, as well as the cover on the driver’s side A pillar having a huge bulge in it. The worn hole in the driver’s seat covering may not be standard, but is possibly an after market upgrade?

It seems that the previous owner must have had a massive right arm as the strength needed to get the Driver’s door to shut properly was immense, in fact it is testament to how well VW built the internal door card and handle as it was still attached to the door after I managed to get it to shut. Looking at this on the outside, the edge of the door only lined up with the body at the top and began to meander away from it the further down you looked.

The actual drive went okay, although having not driven a T6 before I had no reference. The seat recline no longer functioned (the little wheel went round but nothing moved, so that was nice..), therefore the driving position wasn’t great. The button for locking the doors internally didn’t work, and the heater was set to full but didn’t seem to be particularly warm… and the various scratches on the dash seemed a bit random to be factory standard.

A poke around the engine bay revealed some random tissues left in there (which were soaking wet?) And a bit of tell tale white sludge under the oil cap and in the filler tube (although that might just have been caused by condensate as they have had the vehicle for over 250 days according to Carguru).

Further inspection of the exterior revealed that the rear barn doors didn’t line up, the gap at the top was about 3mm and around 12mm at the bottom. And there was a funny smell in the back, which may have been related to the bird droppings between the ply floor liner and the metal edge, I think you can get replacements for these from VW, called Vogelsheisse. The wheel trims (for this was a Trendline) were to put it bluntly ‘Fubarred’, the previous owner clearly made hitting kerbs an important part of his day.

Oh, and there was a dent in the sliding side door. According to the sales guy all of these issues were ‘cosmetic’, bless him, God loves a trier.. All of this could be yours for a smidge under £22k inc VAT.

Seriously, I mean SERIOUSLY, is this what I should expect for my budget? After my 80 mile round trip to see this I was quite despondent (and particularly grumpy), but I guess I will keep looking…

I'm afraid what you described is common in the motor trade in general and certainly isn't specific to VW or the T6.
Persevere and you'll find the right van for you, even if you have to walk away from a few dodgy vans.

Vogelsheisse!

Keep up hope - gems do exist out there, took us a few months.

Good write up :D

A little older, but there is this 2017 van for sale here:

VW T6 Highline
LWB
102 PS
5 speed Manual
46000 Miles
Twin side doors
Tailgate
Power fold heated door mirrors
Factory second battery under passenger seat
Brand new gearbox by VW main dealer at 36000 miles
£23,000 + VAT
East Sussex

Van has all the relevant service history and all receipts for work done
Van has had seat covers on from brand new until now

View attachment 176845

View attachment 176846

View attachment 176847

View attachment 176848

View attachment 176849

View attachment 176850

View attachment 176851

View attachment 176852

View attachment 176853

View attachment 176854

View attachment 176855

View attachment 176856

or older again but mint and with change to spare:
My mate is selling this van privately. It was the delivery van for his business, light deliveries of fruit and veg. Lovely bloke. North Wales, near Colwyn Bay, just off the A55.

2015 Volkswagen transporter £18,250

VAT INCLUDED 2015 Volkswagen Transporter Van , driven 88000 MILES VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER T32 Highline 140 Bhp LONG wheelbase Twin sliding doors Metallic Blue I have owned this from new , full service history. Will come with 12 Months MOT

If anyone is interested, drop me a DM and I'll pass on the contact details.

Admin, let me know if this isn't ok, thanks!

View attachment 171148

View attachment 171149

View attachment 171150

View attachment 171151

View attachment 171152

Good luck finding the one.

Transporters for sale | T6Forum.com

Slightly different paint shades seems very common on the T6, especially the driver and passenger doors. I'm guessing they are painted separately and fitted on the production line.

Good write up :D

A little older, but there is this 2017 van for sale here:

or older again but mint and with change to spare:

Good luck finding the one.

Transporters for sale | T6Forum.com
Thanks for the info, I will check them out cheers!

Back