Self conversion: order of work

GerDT6

Hi folks, just purchased a a 67 plate LWB T6 and looking to convert it myself and would appreciate any advice. Looking to find out the exact order in which a build in done, what electrical set up/ solar set up would be best, are induction hobs draining on leisure battery? The van has already been lined but I will have to remove this to insulate, soundproof, run cables and cut out panels for windows. What would be the best jigsaw blades to use for cutting the panels? Does anyone have any templates for kitchen/storage build? Is a rock n roll bed the best way to go?

I am a joiner so think I have most of the tools required but would really appreciate any advice as trial and error could be costly.

I’m looking to spend as little as possible but don’t want to end up buying cheap rubbish that doesn’t last.

I’ve had it lowered and remapped and fitted a Pipercross air filter but that’s all. Looking to buy windows from veedub this week along with electrics, maybe solar?

Fairly went on a bit there but hope you guys can help.

Thanks
Gerard

Reactions: CAB
I've been through a similar process earlier this year. I guess a few bits of advise from me would be:

Read up as much as possible before starting out on your conversion, have a good plan of what you would like to achieve.
Consider carefully your uses for the van, what i actually thought I needed in the first instance actually turned out not to be the case.
Dont be afraid to go back and correct something if you feel it isnt right.
You'll find that your build evolves as you progress so roll with it.
Take your time and enjoy the process, I'm actually about to strip my van out and refit several bits and upgrade items as well.
I'm pretty sure you'll find something out there as a template, if you are a skilled joiner though I'd be tempted to do something bespoke to yourself.

Theres several really good suppliers about on the forum that you'll find for supplying the electrics side of things. This is one of the bits i enjoyed more.

Cutting wise for panels its pick your tool, a decent angle grinder with a good thin cutting disc, a Jigsaw with an appropriate metal blade, or a Nibbler if you can find one.
Theres plenty of guides out there Coombe valley campers do some really good ones on Youtube.

Induction hob wise you'd need a fairly hefty battery, look towards the lower wattage camping ones that are about 800 watts per ring instead of the 1500 watt domestic items.
Theres a good calculator on the renogy site that will help you work out a lot of your power needs.

Sure there will be plenty more advise from people here. Any questions jsut ask them

Hi and welcome. There are a few different build threads on this forum which include some stunning work. They’re worth a read

Hi there you need to think about how you are going to use your van ie will you be on hook up on a campsite 90 percent of the time ? Or will you be off grid if the latter it would be a better idea to go down the gas bottle route to save electric even if you have solar , you can fit a bottle or you could go for an underslung lpg tank which could potentially feed a night heater ( absolute must if camping in winter ) this would also feed your hob and even a bbq point if you so wish ,
Just one thing for you to think about

Thanks all for the advice, trying not to use gas bottle but that’s good to know about induction hobs, will need to look into that. I will probably hire one out next weekend if I can find one available. Will be going for electric hook up but unsure of what kit to buy that will give me everything I need or should I buy things separately? Looking for a couple of plug sockets and a few USBs. I will also be running a sub or 2 with upgrade speakers and amp. And advice on best places to mount 1 or 2 8” subs or even 10” if possible without too much work. I’ve seen the under seat subs but I’ve noticed a lot a people changing to built in subs and a like a good bit of bass. Will be using it for both off grid and pitch but mostly places with hook up and facilities for the Mrs.

Back