Scuttle panel drain hose? Just a hole.

turtle2121

Hi everybody.

I was looking under the scuttle and I notice the drain holes are open to the wing and very close to the air inlet. The wing has multiple openings to the engine. I've often wondered why we occasionally smell oil etc. Should there be some kind of drain hose in there? I see posts elsewhere that people have diy'd this on a T4. Anybody tried on a t5/t6? Thank you.

I think a hose would block but I also don’t see how it would help.
The scuttle needs cleaning after a few years regardless, I sound deadened mine (job worth doing) and by far the biggest part of the job was the cleaning. Probably 1/3 bucket of leaves and mud.
After sound deadening the scuttle surface area is tiny in comparison so it should be a quick job next time.

Hi DXX, I was thinking that the a hose would prevent engine fumes from entering the scuttle. Other cars i've had used a hose through the inner wing gap to stop this. I experimented with a smoke machine in the battery side of the engine bay and sure enough I got smoke though the drain hole.

Hi DXX, I was thinking that the a hose would prevent engine fumes from entering the scuttle. Other cars i've had used a hose through the inner wing gap to stop this. I experimented with a smoke machine in the battery side of the engine bay and sure enough I got smoke though the drain hole.
Perhaps your van has this problem?
Driving on busy roads you are pulling in all the road pollution, just a pollen filter to take the lumps out. I tend to use re-circulation on the AC.
If you think a hose will help give it a go and feed back. Just be aware that the inlet grill is only slightly above the bottom of the scuttle so if it blocks the water will enter the ventilation duct.

Thanks DXX, I'll give it a go. I did have a problem with fumes. A couple of turbos and an EGR valve later, I found one of the scuttle panels hadn't been fitted properly.

Back