Screen - Excessive moisture

Around midday, I looked in the van for the first time since putting the 'dehumidifier bags' in it last Wednesday. The windscreen was clear and as dry as a bone but the indicators on both bags had started to turn pink. I have now taken them out and zapped them with microwaves for the prescribed 10 minutes. Once cooled, I'll stick them back in a see how it goes before declaring the test a complete success. I'll report again as and when...

The thing is my wife's car ( Evoke) dry, all my previous vehicles never had this issue! Even back in the '70's ! Our T25 was fine!
So why VW transporters? I sort of get maybe the van as a van etc but when converted to campervan DIY or factory do we have to put up with this?
On the factory conversions maybe why it's all plastic panels hiding a multitude of damp n rust later down the years!

What's different apart from rumoured crap building and cheap parts used do line the " execs" and shareholders pockets!

@Mugwump. My T6 is my first van and also my first VW. I came to the conclusion after owning and using it for a couple of months that VW quality was simply not quite all it was cracked up to be. Maybe it's just the commercial arm of the organisation as my only other experience of VAG is with an Audi which has been faultless in my 6 years of ownership (and which I have probably now jinxed).

As suggested earlier in this post, its probably because of the fact that we line them with insulation so the windscreen is colder than the body panels so condensation forms there??

This is definitely the case with mine

Not sure if it's the same on an insulated van??

As suggested earlier in this post, its probably because of the fact that we line them with insulation so the windscreen is colder than the body panels so condensation forms there??

This is definitely the case with mine

Not sure if it's the same on an insulated van??
Can't see why personally, our T25 was insulated never had cold weather issues! But would be interesting to hear from caravel owners etc. And don't seem to be issues with Mercs Renault etc. I still think poor fitting, cheap materials, used on the door rubbers doesn't help, mine (4 yrs old) are weak, easily pulled off by hand and the hollow rubber tube is already looking compressed!

It’s thermodynamics not VW transporter specific.

Td = T - ( (100 - RH) / 5)

Where Td is the dew point (temperature at which condensation forms).
T is the ambient air temperature at point of measurement.
RH is the relative humidity at point of measurement.

ie today with an internal van temp of 4.8 degrees C and a relative humidity of 61% the dew point is going to be minus 3 deg C.

As I think I said earlier, it isn’t all T6’s. Ours is bone dry, and is a fully lined and insulated camper.
I am sure a lot of this is down to usage, type of trips, weather conditions, use of aircon etc.

Pete

As I think I said earlier, it isn’t all T6’s. Ours is bone dry, and is a fully lined and insulated camper.
I am sure a lot of this is down to usage, type of trips, weather conditions, use of aircon etc.

Pete
The lining will insulate the cold steel and will absorb moisture reducing the relative humidity of the air in the van. Mine is the same, condensation isn’t a big issue.

Its not vw specific, my last van,a renault trafic also suffered from it.
I have 4 of those dehumidifier bags in the front and they work a treat,I have to microwave them every couple of weeks,its amazing the amount of water they collect!

Around midday, I looked in the van for the first time since putting the 'dehumidifier bags' in it last Wednesday. The windscreen was clear and as dry as a bone but the indicators on both bags had started to turn pink. I have now taken them out and zapped them with microwaves for the prescribed 10 minutes. Once cooled, I'll stick them back in a see how it goes before declaring the test a complete success. I'll report again as and when...
Might take a few purges with heating in the microwave to dehumidify your van :thumbsup:

Just seen this post, once you have moisture in a car Be it a leak, wet wellies or coats it’s very hard to get rid of simple putting the heaters on does not work it will evaporate the water and then make it condense again surfaces you need to heat the vehicle with a dehumidifier going to get the water airborne

The lining will insulate the cold steel and will absorb moisture reducing the relative humidity of the air in the van. Mine is the same, condensation isn’t a big issue.
Agreed my issue is the poor door/ hatch rubbers, never had this hassle before! The rubber should need a bit of " assistance" via a wooden mallet to fit, not so these ones lol . I've closed them a bit hoping it'll help and since the interior cloth is drying out!
As for the windscreen condensation, never come across this in 48 yrs of driving! In all sorts of vehicles !

thanks for this, ordered myself a couple of these for the van as always seem to have condensation. I've got a on going problem with damp in the back as i used it for work. but im hoping this will assist the moisture in the cab. thanks again

My pleasure. Mine have been in use now for 3 weeks. They are still showing blue on the round marker and the beads inside are still able to roll around rather than clump together. The only times the screen has become notably damp in that time was 1) when the evening was cold and damp together and 2) when I sat in the front with a hot sweaty jacket on. The first instance I had to wipe away the condensation with paper towels and the second the Aircon just moved it in seconds.

In the 2 pictures below, on both occasions the inner screen was bone dry.

20210106_020855.jpg20210107_122125.jpg

I'm using Aircon every day now. Come spring, I'll have the front seats out to do some sound proofing so I'm going to be looking hard at all the suggestions given already from everyone.

there is defo no water in my shuttle that I can find, putting heater downwards has defo made a difference, i think its just some sort of shit design, I bet Vivaro's or Transit's don't have this problem.

im a self employed gardener and have a big problem with damp and I hate to say it mould in the ply lining. but im going to take the ply out, dry it, treat, paint and waterproof it in hope that it helps it out. but since getting the 'pack' @Monkster1 suggested the moisture in the cab has reduced massively.

I’ve just mopped the windows of SWMBOs car - proper wringing with condensation. Its not been used for a while so probably just the conditions!

Back