Santa, you've got my number.

I had the 2.5L, heavy, handled like crap but was very fast in its day..

I was always a MK1 golf guy myself, and i'm sure I recall seeing many a Vauxhall in my mirror (at least I think they were Vauxhalls, they were quite small to see)

Remember the first time I saw Cavalier that shape. If memory serves me correct it was an F plate. 1989. I was 13. Waiting on the school bus. Thought it looked pretty smart back then. Was it the first mainstream motor not to have roof gutters. Sadly that's what the nerd in me noticed at the time. Lol

I was always a MK1 golf guy myself, and i'm sure I recall seeing many a Vauxhall in my mirror (at least I think they were Vauxhalls, they were quite small to see)
My dad had the 7th mk1 GTi in the UK then one of the last 1.8 Campaigns before the mk2 was released; modded straight from the factory (properly - not remapped!) it was a 911 worrier.
We've had countless Golfs in the family - I've had a mk2 GTi, mk3 Gti 16v (very underrated - it was a great car IMO), Mk4 R32. I think they've gone a bit too dull now, even the mk7 R (okay the GTi Clubsport is pretty special) but still very capable.

Mmmhm. Had Mk II 8v GTI, 16v Corrado and mk III 8v GTI colour concept. Great cockpit in mk III but it was a bit lardy compared to it's earlier big brother.

So body from a mk II with the dash from the Corrado or mk III and the G60 motor (sorted with a reliable charger). That would be the VW for me if I could step back in time. Wish I still had the mk II.

Mmmhm. Had Mk II 8v GTI, 16v Corrado and mk III 8v GTI colour concept. Great cockpit in mk III but it was a bit lardy compared to it's earlier big brother.

So body from a mk II with the dash from the Corrado or mk III and the G60 motor (sorted with a reliable charger). That would be the VW for me if I could step back in time. Wish I still had the mk II.
That’s what a lot of people think not realising the 16v mk3 was a lot more powerful (150bhp vs 118) than the 8v and more firmly sprung. In its day it was quite rapid and far better on long trips than my mk2. I liked the mk2 but it had poor brakes, was a total thief magnet and seemed to eat suspension bushes. Very reliable though as was the mk3.

If I recall correctly there was a few claims that some standard mk II 16v churned out 150 bhp. I thoroughly enjoyed my 8v though. Just a K and N filter, magnex stainless exhaust and PI springs dropping it 30 mm and 20 % stiffer. Yet it was beautifully compliant when it got bumpy on the twistys. Short gear ratios were perfect. K jetronic simple but effective and from an era pre digital without plug in ecu boxes. Solid build. Handsome looks. And O yeah, lift off oversteer taught you to keep the plug in all the way round the bend.

It doesn't always take a high BHP output to make driving put a smile on your face.

I think the 8v suited the mk2 better.
Lightly modified mine too but only when bits fell off; had fairly serious ICE in it too. Sold it for decent money which was a nice surprise.

Always despised the Cavalier!

Back