Rust on Door

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have an area of rust on the passanger door, im not sure if a small area of paint was accidentally chipped off ?
What would be the best way to sort this please ?20190108_131539.jpg

20190108_131539.jpg

It looks like the door was opened up against a wall or something.
Touch it up with a touch up paint, or have it painted professionally. They are your only real options.

It looks like the door was opened up against a wall or something.
Touch it up with a touch up paint, or have it painted professionally. They are your only real options.
Thats what i was thinking, i presume i need to very carefully scrape off the rust 1st? Can i then use the touch up paint once the rust has been taken off

Thats what i was thinking, i presume i need to very carefully scrape off the rust 1st? Can i then use the touch up paint once the rust has been taken off

I guess it depends on how permanent you want the job. A DIY touch up can often look exactly like that. The colours often don't match perfectly, and people tend to build up the paint a little too much. Rubbing it down first might end up making it a larger area to touch up.
Personally if it's a temporary fix, i'd just go over it with a touch up brush as it is, then get it painted properly.
Companies like chipsaway are going to be a better option if you don't have good access to a bodyshop and providing the person doing the repair is good, you shouldn't ever see it.

I don't use mobile repairs simply because I have a bodyshop that does all my business bodywork, but they are the most convenient way of getting a repair like this fixed in my opinion, and @RattyMcClelland is in a better position to pass you the details of someone he knows in your area.

Just scuff away the rusty edge with scotchbrite then drip touch up paint down the door edge.
Other skilled option is to soft edge the main door face and back of the door and then do a paint repair on the edge leaving only a minor visible line.

Just scuff away the rusty edge with scotchbrite then drip touch up paint down the door edge.
Other skilled option is to soft edge the main door face and back of the door and then do a paint repair on the edge leaving only a minor visible line.
Nice 1, i'll give that a go this weekend if i can get the white touch up paint in time.
Is that something i need to get direct form VW ?

Before you touch it up just check it could't have been caused by closing the sliding door. I have a very similar looking chip in exactly the same place which is definitely due to my sliding door making contact on a heavy close. Looks like you also have some scratches around that from contact with something else too though.

Before you touch it up just check it could't have been caused by closing the sliding door. I have a very similar looking chip in exactly the same place which is definitely due to my sliding door making contact on a heavy close. Looks like you also have some scratches around that from contact with something else too though.
I'll check that, cheers. I'm starting to think the wife may have done it opening the door and not said anything:(

Would I be correct in saying that, when you take your van in to someone for ceramic coating, that they would / do offer paint correction on little dings like this?

Afternoon,

Noticed some rust patches on my T6.

One behind the door seal, which I assume the door seal will need to be replaced,

Also at the bottom of the door, anyone know where I can get the replacement door caps from or what they are called?

Last question any advice of rust treatment?

Many thanks
James

BC56672F-FE35-4BDE-AACC-B26741FCFA09.jpeg

F21E703A-BEFA-4791-8B59-2C3AEBB1A058.jpeg

709B04E2-8EF5-49E3-A728-2B64FE87C669.jpeg

1EFBF064-7766-42CF-839B-6ACE30B34BC5.jpeg

Back