Rust blisters and is a ceramic coating worth it?

KenA

Hi, I live in the Scottish Highlands, so my T6 is very exposed to wet air, blowing in off the sea. I've got a few small blisters beginning to appear, what's the best way to get those out? Also, is it worth getting a ceramic coating applied to the van?

I’m no expert but if you have rust blisters already I wouldn’t say ceramic coating is worth it until you have the paint sorted first

Are you sure they are rust blisters and not zinc inclusion?

have you got any pictures?

That looks like zinc inclusion to me. I had a Passat that suffered from this. It was a warranty job.

Thanks. The van is a 66 plate, so well past its warranty period, and was bought second-hand (from a dealer). Do you think I can still claim?

Thanks. The van is a 66 plate, so well past its warranty period, and was bought second-hand (from a dealer). Do you think I can still claim?

agreed. It’s zinc inclusions. My last van had them. I took it to see a painter not connected to VW and his advice was to leave it. If you do decide to claim expect a battle. Search the sits for zinc inclusion. There is a lot of info on here. @Tourershine is the expert.

Body warranty on cars is/was 12 years. I'm not sure if vans are different.

Paintwork warranties are rarely worth the paper they are printed on anymore, because manufactures have a raft of reasons your paintwork has blistered or rusted or fell off and there is next to zero chance you can prove them otherwise. Yes I fought VW and yes I eventually won the case, but at my own risk and my own initial cost. My advice unless you own something that's pretty much new, is to save yourself the stress and hassle, and just get a bodyshop to do the job.

They will try everything and it’s very difficult to prove you’ve not had bodywork done because your not always going to offer that info up if your not going to be covered, I remember long time ago montegos had a 12 year cover but they used to pay out no quibble even to the last day crazy

Back