To Ceramic Coat or not Ceramic Coat?

Thanks for all your helpful info.

I am going to speak to a local chap tomorrow and ask about PPF and ceramic coating. I have seen his videos and one thing he does mention is going over the vehicle first to correct swirls etc before any of the treatments are started.

When you had your wheels ceramic coated, did you just have the front faces coated, or did you have them removed and coated on both faces?
Removed and coated both faces and barrels

Reactions: Bav
Thanks for all your helpful info.

I am going to speak to a local chap tomorrow and ask about PPF and ceramic coating. I have seen his videos and one thing he does mention is going over the vehicle first to correct swirls etc before any of the treatments are started.
Standard paint correction before applied

Depending on budget best would be paint correction, ppf and ceramic coating.
Not sure about the price but all of this easily 2k on a van?
Is it really worth it?
I have to say my 40/50 quid kit worked a treat and looked great, not perfect but hey. 50q quid vs 2k?

The Highlands Council are S hot when it comes to keeping the roads clear and are always ploughing and gritting the roads.

I had the displeasure of having one pass me at full pelt last year, the grit smashed of just about every panel of the car at Maximum velocity, I had to check the car later for dents….. This is what I am hoping to protect against.
of course there is also just about everything else to think about when trying to keep a vehicle clean.

if go for a ceramic coat, and fancy a trip down to lincolnshire, I know just the man - instagram or facebook him, studio81detailing - he will do a seriously good deal… like half of whatever youre getting quoted, and he’s VERY good, detailers take their customer cars to him when they cant do anymore to the paintwork without fear of damaging

The Highlands Council are S hot when it comes to keeping the roads clear and are always ploughing and gritting the roads.

I had the displeasure of having one pass me at full pelt last year, the grit smashed of just about every panel of the car at Maximum velocity, I had to check the car later for dents….. This is what I am hoping to protect against.
of course there is also just about everything else to think about when trying to keep a vehicle clean.
It will not protect the car from grit and stones.
It will protect the paint from fading, lacquer to peel or get damaged by sun, water and general contaminants.

if go for a ceramic coat, and fancy a trip down to lincolnshire, I know just the man - instagram or facebook him, studio81detailing - he will do a seriously good deal… like half of whatever youre getting quoted, and he’s VERY good, detailers take their customer cars to him when they cant do anymore to the paintwork without fear of damaging
Thats really useful @CALLAKN...I've enquired through 4 local detailer websites in the Suffolk area and not one of them has replied! I shall have to go further afield which is fine so will give your guy a try. :thumbsup:

Thats really useful @CALLAKN...I've enquired through 4 local detailer websites in the Suffolk area and not one of them has replied! I shall have to go further afield which is fine so will give your guy a try. :thumbsup:
Definitely mate - say I sent you and he will look after you. Tried 2 other blokes who were a lot more expensive before finding andy

Having had a van in for detailing recently here is my ten cents worth! As has been discussed lots, the bulk of money and time will be in the prep work. My 4 year old van had a few issues with the paint so a two stage polish was required. One stage was not enough to sort all imperfections which it was originally booked in for. Before committing I got a trial area completed and was pleased with results! An audi RS6 was in at time so pleased with my decision. A brand new range rover was booked in after, after having issue with paint being burnt through and needing respray! £97K I understand.

I had the ceramic coat top layer applied (and got a few small bottles thrown in). Originally I was getting wheels ceramic coated at cost of £150 but used this instead to do the second stage of polish. Big van, big panels so can use a 5inch pad I understand.... Just watch as cost is in prep and time so if they can cover big areas in less time may not be a simple pro rata cost increase.

I also had 'fresh paint' on a rear door which was polished but no ceramic coating applied. Need to wait around 3 months I was told for all gases to escape before effectively sealing in. Can't see this issue on new van.

My bonnet had the ceramic coating applied so I could see how I got on. If I decide to get whole van done, which I doubt.... Would need prep work again!

All my glass was protected and water does run off very fast now.

Last but not least.... I got van done, photos taken and it was gleaming. After driving home 3 miles I did wonder why! Country roads didn't take long to sort. Will be interesting how she looks when I clean her again! It is a van though and I plan to use and enjoy!

Ladies and Gentlemen

I have searched the forum but can’t quite find an answer to this one.

I have just taken possession of a brand new van and am considering whether I should invest in having the vehicle ceramic coated professionally.

I live in the Scottish Highlands and in the winter time they do like to chuck an enormous amount of salt on the road.
I am looking to do the best I can to protect the van from our weather.
I have read both good and bad reviews of ceramic coating and whether it is worth it or not.

I would like to hear the experiences of others on the subject before making a decision.
essentially I am looking for views on durability of the product, The issue of water staining ( water spots ) is concerning given that I thought the coating was meant to prevent these type of issues.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
If I was still in Scotland @Highland Dog I'd be give Steve at Absolute Valeting a shout. Base in Blantyre some of the posts he has done in LinkedIn never cease to amase me, on a lot of brand new premium cars straight from factory as well. Detailing | Absolute Valeting | Scotland

PPF and ceramic coat is an expensive layout had mine done a month after new purchase, but makes cleaning a damm site easier if you like the showroom look, PPF does what it says on the tin.
Had a big chunk of a brick hit my bonnet and bounced onto windscreen, saved the paint work and windscreen,
But need to have the bonnet re PPF'D again as the paint work was saved but mullered the PPF, cheaper than a respray and possible different shades of spray paint,
Not sure on having the windscreen done again, as any debris on wipers has left a scratched PPF on screen only had it done a couple of months, so don't fancy having redone several times in a year! or cleaning the wiper blades every time I get in the motor, on no not practical! the self healing process is for minor scratches... not had PPF on more than 6 months so the Jury is still out.....
Ceramic coat works really well on the alloy wheels so much easier to get the brake dust off.

Thanks for your post, puzzled that you had ppf and ceramic? Is it because the original paint is soft?
I’d appreciate your thoughts and findings before my new van arrives
Thanks again
Shrimps on tour

Thanks for your post, puzzled that you had ppf and ceramic? Is it because the original paint is soft?
I’d appreciate your thoughts and findings before my new van arrives
Thanks again
Shrimps on tour
PPF is the best paint protection on the market IMHO it has saved the paintwork, but an ongoing maintenance cost is to replace the PPF on the panels that have been damaged whilst protecting paintwork this has happened as it lifts when jet washing and doesn't look pretty
Yes you don't have to jet wash personal choice..
Ceramic coat fills in all the small imperfections and helps water beading dirt/slide off vehicle this also needs maintenance ie more applications as durability fades off in time depending on weather/car wash solutions used like everything in our world this all costs money my van was brand new last year and cost a kings ransom to me! I am lucky enough to have the funds to keep my labour of love in tip top condition and these products help to do just that

Back