V5 Documentation requested at campsite?

Pushirons

VIP Member
Just been rejected a campsite booking due to the van not being registered as a campervan by the DVLA. This was at a independent owned site. They say the can’t get insurance. Anyone else had this?

Called Caravan and camping club as were booked with them at the weekend and they are fine, as long at it’s got a fixed bed and window blinds or covers.

Just been rejected a campsite booking due to the van not being registered as a campervan by the DVLA. This was at a independent owned site. They say the can’t get insurance. Anyone else had this?

Called Caravan and camping club as were booked with them at the weekend and they are fine, as long at it’s got a fixed bed and window blinds or covers.
Do they take tent bookings? just book down for that and sleep in the van

They've probably had wrong 'uns behaving badly in their non - camper vans full of cheap lager, uncontrolled dogs and even more out of control kids.
I doubt it's got anything to do with insurance, more a way of being selective who they allow in.
I'm not defending it or saying it's fair but if they're turning away paying customers you can bet they've got a good reason for it.

I’ve wondered about this, and not known anyone to check yet as far as I know. Mine is a ‘Motor Caravan’ and I do keep a copy of my logbook on my phone as a PDF in case someone asks.

They've probably had wrong 'uns behaving badly in their non - camper vans full of cheap lager, uncontrolled dogs and even more out of control kids.
I doubt it's got anything to do with insurance, more a way of being selective who they allow in.
I'm not defending it or saying it's fair but if they're turning away paying customers you can bet they've got a good reason for it.
Yeah who knows, could be, they made it clear they don’t allow sleeping in awning also quite a few times to me. I did mention that since the DVLA change they might end up loosing customers going forward, they dialled off to call their insurance company and came back on saying they needed to review the policy and we’re writing to them.

Reactions: CAB
Yeah who knows, could be, they made it clear they don’t allow sleeping in awning also quite a few times to me. I did mention that since the DVLA change they might end up loosing customers going forward, they dialled off to call their insurance company and came back on saying they needed to review the policy and we’re writing to them.
Yeah, justifying their rules, of course, it's up to them and you're quite right, they might end up losing customers.

Go somewhere else.

@Pushirons. Apologies if I missed it but out of interest did they ask you how it was registered or did they do the check themselves once you told them the registration number?

@Pushirons. In that case, I suspect that you have been a victim of your own honesty. I might be wrong here (which wouldn't be the first time!) but doesn't the V5 only say how many seats a vehicle has got (ie. NOT how many beds / berths). It does also say something like 'Van with side windows or 'Motor Caravan' but Im not sure that they have any way of knowing that unless you tell them yourself. Maybe somebody else can advise on that. Or just tell them to go forth and multiply and camp elsewhere.

Reactions: Ozi
The number of berths isn’t even mentioned on the V5 or registered with the DVLA, even on a full fat “motor caravan”. They are blowing smoke up your a**e
Basically, they are discriminating unfairly! However, they are entitled to, much as it may annoy us. I am all for campsite’s looking to keep standards up, but I object to discrimination. Let your wallet cast your vote

The number of berths isn’t even mentioned on the V5 or registered with the DVLA, even on a full fat “motor caravan”. They are blowing smoke up your a**e
Missed out the all important “and”

They asked for the registration and how many births, “and” was it registered as with the DVLA.

To be fair they did seem a bit concerned they would be loosing custom, since called me an said they’ve spoken to another local campsite and the caravan and camping club who take vans with a “fixed bed”. Same as the C&CC told me when I called them slightly concerned I just shelled of for a folly on wheels.

Definitely taking the business elsewhere anyway.

They asked for the registration and how many births, “and” was it registered as with the DVLA.

To be fair they did seem a bit concerned they would be loosing custom, since called me an said they’ve spoken to another local campsite and the caravan and camping club who take vans with a “fixed bed”. Same as the C&CC told me when I called them slightly concerned I just shelled of for a folly on wheels.

I doubt very much that you’ve “bought a folly on wheels”!!!

I’ve been camping in one form or another for 40 odd years. I’ve never been asked for more than “are you bringing a tent/caravan or motor home?” TBH any campsite that goes into such detail as to asking how the vehicle is registered with the DVLA, would have me running. We’re members of the CCC, but avoid their club sites as they are too regimented. I want to enjoy my holidays, not feel that I have to comply to some norm that ticks someone’s box.
Rant over, I’ll get me coat.
Taxi!!

I’ve been camping in one form or another for 40 odd years. I’ve never been asked for more than “are you bringing a tent/caravan or motor home?” TBH any campsite that goes into such detail as to asking how the vehicle is registered with the DVLA, would have me running. We’re members of the CCC, but avoid their club sites as they are too regimented. I want to enjoy my holidays, not feel that I have to comply to some norm that ticks someone’s box.
Rant over, I’ll get me coat.
Taxi!!
CC&C have become very regimented! Whenever we rock up I feel like I’m meeting the “Camp Comidant!”

"Yes, it is registered with the DVLA."

Absolutely truthful.

Just registered as a "Van with windows" :think smile bounce:

Back