Rotten Egg smell when starting van if left for several days to a week

djgriff

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello, I have noticed an intense rotten egg smell coming in through my van vents when i start the van after leaving it standing for several day to a week. Is this likely the starter motor or is this a sign of the catalytic converter failing? One thing to note, it has started since I recently had the Adblue system mapped out and the tank hasn't been emptied . could it be adblue leaking into the exhaust system over time? Another factor is the smell seems to be when the battery is low 12.37 volts ..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Daniel

Check the starter battery. It's right in front of the air intake for the vents. Sounds like it might need changing.

Cheers delay will take a look now, it’s only 1 yr old so hope it’s not that
Cheers

Just started her up and no smell whats so ever, battery seems find, no smell from engine bay..
Would a starter motor do this? or could it be faulty fuel delivery system?

thanks
Daniel

According to the Victron 12/12 30 leisure battery charger the voltage from the battery when alternator is on is at 14.8volts, then drops to 13v , I think these aren’t set correctly but don’t have the means to change them .
Maybe over time when sitting gas escapes from the battery?

Last edited:
Would leaking Adblue into the exhaust system cause a build up in the catalytic. In turn making it not function properly?

The alternator doesn't explain the smell after sitting for days. You got solar?

Yep I have a 360w hooked up to the leisure battery but not to the starter battery.

Maybe not a battery issue but something rotting in the scuttle.

I’ll check the leisure battery see it it smells, it’s installed under the driver seat, so would of thought the van would stink when getting in..
Maybe not a battery issue but something rotting in the scuttle.
interesting but then I would of thought I would smell it all the time instead on random startups.. hmm good for thought. This smell is toxic sulphuric rotten egg smell though.

Years ago the local fishermen would get back at people that they had a run in with by putting old fish bits in the fresh air intakes on their vehicles, smell got gradually worse as the weather warmed up. :D

Years ago the local fishermen would get back at people that they had a run in with by putting old fish bits in the fresh air intakes on their vehicles, smell got gradually worse as the weather warmed up. :D
Hahaha fingers crossed that’s not the case

Just emptied the adblue tank, see if this was the cause. Else new battery time I guess. Or into the garage for diagnostics.. but carista shows up nothing to note only low battery voltage.

Back